Can Tropical Fish eat avocado

k1w1y2k

This might seem like a strange thing to ask, but is it ok to give my tropical and cold fish avocado. The reason I ask is I was doing a total clean of 1 of my tanks and some of the snails started eating a small piece of avocado that was in the sink.

Alot of people say to feed your fish some vegetable matter, are avocado's considered ok or should I stick to zucchini, also whats the best way of keeping the zucchini in the bottom to the tank?

regarding sinking of the food,

I spent a while lookign for some propper way of sinking food so i didnt need a teaspoon.... I ended up using a air bubble tube with a airstone attached. Force the airstone opening through the courgette and loosely attach the air tube. Meant I coudl easily take it back out too for replacement.

Didnt connect the other end to anything so no air was going through it but good idea to have some sort of stopper in place so you dont end up draining your tank by mistake :-)

Personally I wouldn't put avocado in the water. It is very oily and I suspect it might cause problems with an oily slick on the surface of the water. Now I would like to point out that I'm talking about what I would do - obviously you can do what you like! And then let us know what happens! :wink:

Recently my fish have been eating sweetcorn off the cob. Actually it was a cob of corn that I had already eaten, but there were bits of corn still attached, so I just floated it in the tank. To my surprise one of the Siamese algae eaters took "possession" of it and chased everyone else away. He kept nibbling at it for the whole time it was in the tank (about 24 hours).

To sink courgette or cucumber I either use the spoon method or plant weights (the flexible metallic weights that come with some bunch plants).

Do let us know what you decide about the avocado!

Are we talking a full size eaten corn cob???

Guarded by an SAE???

Oh I wish you had taken a photo!!!!!

Yeah I wish I had too. Actually it was so funny I think it was video-worthy! The SAE was chasing away the barbs, but paying particular attention to the other SAEs. He must have used waaaay more energy chasing other fish than he ever gained from eating the corn. Also the corn cob got caught in an eddy and was spinning around quite fast with the SAE chasing it. Then he had to dodge out of the way when it hit the glass. Funny little fellow.

Unfortunately I have never managed to take a decent photo of my tanks or fish. :( I blame the technology but it's probably more about technique.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's a fruit. (Isn't a berry just a sub-set of fruit anyway?) Courgette is also a fruit, as is tomato, capsicum, pumpkin...

Then we start getting into the realm of "folk taxonomy" as contrasted with biological taxonomy. Fascinating stuff, but it could drive you bonkers if you let it! :-?

The corn cob I used was cooked. Some science-type on here will be able to explain the dynamics of cooking corn - I think it turns the carbohydrates from starch to sugar?

Anyway my fish seemed to enjoy the cooked corn, but I would keep an eye on it and not leave it in the tank for more than a few hours. The carbs in the tank are likely to encourage all kinds of greeblies to grow if you leave it too long. But don't let that put you off! My fish seem to love it! :bounce:

I LOVE corn on the cob. Unfortunately it would be waste of time for me to try and feed my fish since I don't leave a nibble on the cob, I eat every single last one :o 8) :P

Caper

Me too, Caper. I nibble along one row at a time, making sure I eat every kernel! My partner thinks I'm very odd. Fortunately he's not so thorough so it's actually his corn cob that gets put in the tank!