Why does my Digital Camera Produce such low quality Photos?

breakaway

Ive got a Sony Cyber Shot (DSC P72 <- thats what it says on the camera)

And it produces the crappiest photos I have ever seen. Ive messed around with the settings, still looks like crap.

Here is a Photo That I just took: (Ive made it smaller using the Print Screen Function, Then pasting in paint and saving as JPEG as I do always)

This Photo Is extremely Crap:

CrapPhotoFishTank.JPG

But, Take a look at this. This Pic was taken with the same camera, but looks great. It was also resized and saved in the same way as above.

BronzeCoryUnderDriftwood.JPG

Also take a look at this Pic, which was taken and resized and cropped in the same way as all of the above (With Paint). It looks great.

Tank.JPG

Finally, Here is a Pic I took for posting on an electronics forum. I have posted it here purely for comparison agains the other photos. Please note taht it was taken with the same camera, same settings, cropped and resized in the same way as the FIRST pic, which was crap.

LCD%20In%20Action.JPG

And, when I take photos of other People, it looks great. But when I take a photo of the fish tank, it looks crap. Please explain. Could it be because of the Lighting Conditions?

Any Help Appreciated :evil:

What settings have you tried for the fish pics? We all have probs to start off but if you just keep taking pics you get better at it, and the joy of digi is that you can delete them all :lol:

Prefocus on a piece of driftwood, the plants, the gravel......the fish are often too small or move to fast for the camera to focus properly on. Use the flash but angle yourself slightly so the flash doesn't show in the pic. Daytime photos are often difficult as there is too much light reflecting on the glass.

Try macro or manual settings with slightly higher aperature (f no) and shutter speed. Most important bit of advice though is to take heaps of pics and eventually you get better ones.

sue

Lighting makes a big difference. You have also aimed slightly upwards so got reflection from the light above the tank by the looks of it. Get as much light into the tank as possible. Steady the camera with a tripod, or sit it on something solid and aim it slightly from the side and downwards from a higher spot than before.

For every 20 pics you take you might get 1 that is good.

Different photographer? :roll:

Light is very important. Not enough light and too much movement in the tank (and of the camera) will add to fuzziness. That first pic has quite a lot of things moving and the light wouldn't be strong enough to allow the camera to decide on what to focus. The other pics don't have all that movement in them. Are they the same tank?

Your photo is almost certainly a low-light/long exposure problem. The streaking of the bubbles is a dead give-away.

Since a lot of the movement is the photographer if I'm stuck in these situations I will take two or three photos of the same scene. With luck one of them will involve less movement than the rest. Fortunately digital camera's allow you this luxury.

The bad news is of course that the fish won't stay still for you.

More light is the best answer, just remember to light from above to avoid reflections off the glass if you're using an external lamp.

I have exactly the same digital camera as you. Sony DSC-P72 (3 x optical zoom etc)

it is very unlikely to be any settings on the camera itself, but i can guarantee its mainly these two things.

1. as everyone above has said "lighting" very important to get the right amount of light - not too much, not too little. experiment and you'll know.

2. as ira says, a tripod. or to be more specific, keep still!!! it only takes the slightest movement when you click to have your shots come out like this.

Another point to note (with digital cameras) is the following:

1. Batteries. If the batteries are low or near low, it will take a photo but very poorly. Again, especially in the early evening when low-lighting is involved. Get the best shots by having your batteries fully charged!!!

2. Dont EVER use digital zoom on your camera (or any <$2000 digital camera) The processor on the camera itself is never powerful enough to sample the image on the fly. Only ever use optical zoom!

i reckon! and by resizing them, you will get better quality too :) (at least it will appear that way) also make sure before resizing, the pic's are at 16 million colours otherwise you will lose quality. increase the number of colours for the pic in your photo editing software before you do (being a digital camera shot, its likely to already be 16 mil anyway, but just something to be aware of)

Adobe Photoshop

Jasc Paintshop Pro

Both are excellent. Photoshop is complex and can do pretty much anything you need but costs more (more advanced photo editing). Paintshop Pro is less expensive and will still do more than most things you will need. Download a free trial here:

http://www.jasc.com/products/paintshoppro/?

I use and highly recommend Paint Shop Pro. Its a 56MB download but well worth trialing.