Public Native Fish Displays?

Stella

I am wanting to update my list of public native fish displays around the country.

This is my current list, does anyone know of any others? Or are any details wrong?

Auckland Museum

There are several displays of freshwater and marine native fish, particularly in the Natural History section but displays are spread around. Ask at the enquiries desk for what is on display and where.

Auckland Regional Council

The council is planning a large permanent display of native fish. Please call first to enquire.

Otorohonga Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

An aquarium display in the wetlands area of bluegill bullies and inanga. Banded kokopu and eels may be seen in ponds around the park.

National Aquarium of New Zealand - Napier

Largely inanga, but also kokopu, crayfish and bullies. A separate display has some truly enormous native long and short finned eels.

Taranaki Regional Council's Biology Laboratory - Stratford

This is a fascinating display with many aquaria and preserved specimens. It is set up mainly as an educational facility for school visits but is equally interesting to the adult native fish enthusiast. There are many live examples of various species, and the preserved ones are fascinating. The staff are very friendly and knowledgeable. Phone to arrange a time to visit, bearing in mind the Bio Lab is not open on weekends.

Karori Wildlife Sanctuary – Wellington

Look at the sanctuary maps to avoid missing it. In the lower wetland area is an innocuous-looking information board and the aquarium is built into the back of this, facing the bush. The selection includes inanga, koaro, banded kokopu and bullies. Various native fish also live in the adjacent restored wetland and sometimes banded kokopu may be seen out in the open during the day. The shallow streams throughout the sanctuary are teeming with galaxiids.

Eco World Aquarium and Terrarium – Picton

Short and long finned eels, inanga and banded kokopu.

Marlborough District Council - Blenheim

An aquarium in the main council reception with banded kokopu, redfin and upland bullies, torrrentfish, inanga and crayfish.

Southern Encounter Aquarium and Kiwi House – Christchurch

A wide variety of natives, including various bullies, banded kokopu, koaro, torrentfish, both species of eel and rare local Galaxias species.

Te Manawa here in palmy will have natives in it's river exhibition due to open in early 1010, the only question will be which ones and how big I can convince them to make the tanks.

Eels are also a likely edition in the wetland that will be built in one end of the exhibition (despite my concerns that they will escape as eels do, and go a wandering about the place :D:P )

Does the one at Milford Sound count?

Milford Deep is very different from an aquarium

Unlike an aquarium, the fish are free to come and go; it is the people who are contained. There is no feeding of fish. What happens here is completely natural and will be happening all over the fiord. Because visitors looking out of the windows are just part of life for this marine community, they just carry on unaffected. This provides a unique opportunity to closely view the real life situations deep below the surface of the fiord; quite different from the artificial environment of an aquarium.

Deep Water Emergence phenomenon

Overlaying the sea, a fresh water layer, the result of the high annual rainfall of the Fiordland area and the distinctive narrow shape of the fiord causes a phenomenon called "Deep Water Emergence". This creates a similar environment to the deep ocean, but at a much shallower depth within the fiord, allowing visitors the chance to see deep-sea species close up. Milford Deep is the only Observatory in the world where the unusual results of this phenomenon can be viewed.

Visitors are continually amazed and fascinated by what they see:

* Rare Red and Black Coral

* Butterfly Perch

* Anemones and Sponges

* Scarlet Wrasse

* Snake Stars

* Crinoids and Zoanthids

* Other deep water species

Thanks for the reminder, HaNs, I will add that.

Jude, I am actually after freshwater displays, but that sounds INCREDIBLY AWESOME!!! Is it lit somehow? Just wondering as it is supposed to be very dark in there, IIRC.

Caryl, I have seen photos of the tank but it would be good to hear an update. Just one simple tank, but looked good.

Museeumchick, good point, it is supposed to be up for a few years is it not? The eels one does sound absurd...

Supasi, I just did a quick check on the zoo websites and they don't appear to have anything.

I know the FNZAS Hamilton club was looking at putting in a native aquarium, anyone know if this is actually going to happen?

Remembered to pop into the council building today. No native fish display. They said they had one set up once but had difficulty maintaining the tank to suit the inhabitants' requirements so it now had a very large angels, some danios and kribs in it, along with a few others I can't remember.