Palaemon affinis (new zealand glass shrimp)

axolotl-danio

Yes they can be kept in a cold freshwater aquarium, the setup would ideally have plants of some sort and rocks.

If you want them to survive you shouldn't keep them with large goldfish as they will probably get eaten by them.

I'm guessing wcmm's would be able to live with them without any troubles.

Can they be kept in an aquarium?

Yes

Can they survive in freshwater?

Yes

what sort of setup would i need?

All they really need is sufficient oxygen. I found this out the hard way when I had some of mine in a small tank when I was cleaning my main one out, the big ones started turning cloudy and started dying around the two hour mark. When I noticed I got some aeration in and most survived, but my freshwater crabs enjoyed the snack of dead prawns :o

As far as I know they are also fairly susceptible to chemicals as most natives are. So defiantly no chlorine, and if possible age your water with other methods over chemical water ager.

Somebody else get in here and make sure I'm right :D

Ninjafroglet, you have freshwater crabs?

I had six for most of one year, but I put some live shrimp in and slowly the crabs started dying off. I have no idea if it was the shrimp or not, I don't think they were attacking them, but maybe they brought something in. I now have one left :cry:

They are so cute. No bigger than your fingernail and only found up north (ie a million miles away from me).

Ninja, how do you keep yours?

Axolotl-danio, if you mean the rockpool shrimp (Palaemon), it might be best to ask in the marine section, as no one so far seems to have been talking about them. If you mean the one found in streams (Paratya) then the above replies are true :)

They were what I thought where freshwater crabs, they're alot bigger then you described. When we first got them they were around 0.5-1cm across on their shell, and light brown coloured. I thought they were just big ones because they're were heaps of tinier ones too. I did have three but they've decreased to just two :( , one being about 1cm across and the other is around 2cms across, but will easily cover 6cms if s/he fully spreads out, and the larger one went purple after a moult.

I'm beginning to think that the purple one is a marine crab, especially considering that the stream is tidal.