Help with setting up Reeves tank please

robbert

If water is maintained at a temp of around 26 - 28oC then the water can be quite deep, 300mm - 320mm. If the water is cooler then they must be able to easily reach the surface by standing on the bottom. Their feet aren't as webbed as other Aquatic Turtles ie Sliders, Cooters and Snake-necks, therefore the Reeve's find it more difficult to push themselves through the water. This size tank will house two for life easily.

Keep the water level up to the basking area. If you leave a 'gap' the turtle can dive off and is more likely to cause an injury hitting the exposed ramp. Or could even hit bottom of tank if turt dives off in a hurry and is reasonable size and water is too shallow. Its better that they can just slide off basking area straight into the water.

Most of the injured turtles I get have shell injuries from above causes or rough surfaces....like rocks or even concrete blocks in their tank :roll:, burns on the head from turtle able to touch their light or nasty injury on back of head/neck from diving into shallow water and back of head/neck catching the edge of upper shell while chin ends up with bone exposed from hitting bottom of tank etc. :cry:

Reeves are so cool! My two are real characters...and both now like to spend time sleeping in the garden on these really hot nights. :lol:

Thanks for all the replys, Is a bare bottom tank the best? also would normal play sand be alright in as the substrate on the ledge? And just a few more questions, What would be the best best food for them, And what lighting do they require a basking lamp and UV-A and UV-B tube lighting?

I just have a piece of that fake grass/astro-turf stuff sitting on the basking area as easy to remove and clean. Having it glued onto the ramp in the water is a bit of a pain, as it tends to get a build up of algae and is difficult to clean, even tho rest of tank and water is clear of algae. I prefer to have the glass 'ladder' type ramp for that reason. Sand will make a big mess of the tank and filter I guess ,tho I've never used it... :lol:

Last winter I had several tanks set up with 28 turtles over the winter...and the ones with shingle stayed much cleaner as shingle 'caught' any rubbish that wasn't going up the filter. The ones without shingle were easy to net larger solids out of, but water got dirty much quicker even with same regime of water changes etc. Stones are smooth and reasonable size so as not to be swallowed, but I've never had turtles eat stones ...tho I believe some do... :-?

'Yes' to the reptile light and a basking or ordinary lightbulb (40watt) to encourage them out of the water to bask. :D

My reeves eat pretty much everything I feed them...commercial turtle foods, (wet and dry), snails, worms, 'fancy' lettuce, those dry fish sold as cat treats at the supermarket (Purranas), Ox, chicken or lamb heart cut into strips (NO fat), purina 1 cat food biscuits, cuttle bone floating in the water (from supermarket, sold as bird food) boiled eggs and /or boiled egg shells , plants hanging in the water, courgette, pumpkin, peas ....and probably other stuff I cant think of at the moment :roll: I think they eat the raw anchovies as well....NEVER fed in their tank tho, as turns into an oil slick...so they all have turns in the bath munching on the whole fish and then I just net out any uneaten heads or spines etc and pull the plug :wink: (and of course rinse and dry the turtles well before putting them back in tank/pond :) )

But others may have other ideas. :D

AWSOME Hans dropped them of today (THANKS) big one 10cm shell is swimming around alot, the smaller one is not quite as active, Do they sleep in the water or where ever? I have breakfast shift at work tomorow morning at 5am, i think ill be up every 5 minutes to check on them tho haha. They are sooooo cool tho will post pics when i have the big tank set up. Thanks everyone for you help and suggestions really appreciated.