Keeping a stable temp for thee puffers?

Dixon1990

So the dwarf puffer tank is in a cupboard under a comunity tank, the tank above is around 28 usually, today at 32, i couldnt do anything to lower it, all hardy fish, neons, female bettas, plecos etc.

But the puffers are quite sensitve, they too got up to 30, so ive decided i need to setup a automated fan or something.

Would a fan on a thermostat work? Ifso what kind of thermostat would be appropriate? the tank needs to be at 25ish.

Im also buying a quality heater for the tank to keep the temp right, any recommended brands?

ThankInAdvance :hail:

I like to use as little poser as possible :lol:

and its hotter up there now than 5pm :-? :lol: :evil:

My very large pedestal fan only uses 50w, a small desk like you would need probably only use 15w or 1/4 the power of a single light bulb. There is no reason you can't just plug it in and leave it going 24/7, the fan will only drop the temp 2-3 degree's anyway, just enough to fix your problem. Just watch the evaporation from the tank, are your puffers in brackish water? Remember only the fresh water evaporates not the salt, so you will need to add fresh to top the water level up otherwise your salinity will increase and before you know it you'll have a full salt water setup.

I use fans on my tanks over summer.

It cools through evaporation, so yes, aim it at the water. (I use small desk fans, unscrew the base and simply sit the fan face-down on top of the tank, with a gap between the lids wide enough to hold the fan. Get an RCT switch....

The evaporation is not a constant rate. It has a greater cooling effect when:

The air is dry (can't evaporate so fast when it is really humid)

it is warm (washing dries faster on a hot day)

However fans also blow atmospheric pollution onto the surface of the tank, quickly building up an oily slick. Use paper towels to skim this off the surface. If you have a turbulent surface (from bubbler, filter water pouring through the surface) the scum will not form, but is being dissolved into the water :o gross. Waterchange this out and be REALLY CAREFUL what goes into your air. Air fresheners? Fly spray? Smoke (inc incense)?

It won't drop the temp much but can drop it a couple of degrees. In my experience it doesn't do much for 2ft tanks, but can have an effect on 4ft tanks. Effectiveness depends on setup/room/etc.

Cooling the area would definitely have an effect. THe heat gets into the tank from the surrounding area. If the room is cold the tank is cold and vice versa. I have air conditioning for the worst parts of summer, but it costs a bucketload.

oooh good trick!

Oh, just remembered something from last summer. If you have the room, have more bottles of ice than your freezer can take. It freezes much quicker if you chill the bottles in the fridge before putting them in the freezer.

Unfortunately with doing the ice trick you can wind up over-taxing your freezer and defrosting everything while cranking up the bill.

ive yet to find an easy compact and practical chiller although there are some semiconductor chillers on ebay for smaller tanks but they are expensive maybe could diy for freshwater as jaycar sell some parts you could use there

I've wondered how well a handful of peltiers would work. Probably put them on a big water block with lots of channels to pump the tank water through then a really big heatsink with fans on the hot side. Wouldn't be as electricity efficient at cooling as a proper chiller, but you could just flip a couple wires and turn it into a heater which it should do really well and probably at higher efficiency than a normal resistive heater.

Cooling a PC and cooling a fish tank are different. Almost all PC cooling setups are simply cooling towards ambient temperature. So a big radiator/heatsink and fans works fine. A fish tank in a case like we're discussing you're trying to cool below ambient. Pump the tank water through a radiator in that case and it would heat the water faster.

That would probably work well for cooling the hot side of the peltiers. Maybe 5 of these onesshould be able to get you about 200 watts cooling for some 400 watts of power usage with a near perfect heatsink. But then you have to dissipate 600 watts total with your heatsink. Something like this one is pretty big, at 10 inches long. It's spec'd at .3°c per watt dissipated. Ideally with good fans on it it should only heat up to about 210°C to dissipate that much heat. :o You'd probably want something that would be able to dissipate the heat without getting any hotter than about 80°c.