How to lower Nitrate levels

ozzchick

You seem to be doing every thing right, water changes etc, but maybe your new water you are using contains high levels of nitrate/phosphate.

Yeah i thought the same, thought the levels could have been high before even getting in my tank so i tested my tap water and it was fine, nothing in it.

I did another water change last night, changed just under 50% and retested after about an hour and couldnt believe what i saw, it had skyrocketed to 80ppm or more. :cry: I just tested it again and its back down to 20ppm again. Will do another water change in 3 days and see what happens. How long after changing the water should i test the nitrates?

Is the water aged, or straight from the tap. If straight from the tap the chlorine could be killing the bacteria, spiking the no3 level, but this would take a couple of days to elevate, not hours. The problem sounds like your new water, to spike so high just after a change of water.

alan is spot on with that one. if it is making your eyes burn it is indeed monochloro amine. aqua plus and stress coat both remove the chloramines in water, so you could use that. if your tanks are huge - prime is a more cost effective method - but is extremely expensive to buy.

When you put chlorine in water it combines with compounds in there to form monochloramine, adding more chlorine forms dichloramine, then even more chlorine forms trichloramine. What makes your eyes sore in a swimming pool is lack of chlorine and this causes the chloramines to move back to monochloramine. This is used in the USA to sanitise drinking water and is a disinfectant like chlorine itself. Aeration removes the chlorine and converts all the chloramines to monochloramine. It is removed by adding chemicals, not by aeration. If it burns your eyes in a swimming pool it can't make your fish feel particularly obejoyfull.

They may have got a better source of water now but many years ago the water in Rangiora had a high iron content and this creates a lot of chlorine demand. The chlorine is used up converting the ferrous iron to ferric which is then precipitated out. They therefore have to add a lot of chlorine to get free available chlorine. Makes the water taste better as well as the iron imparts a bad taste.

yeah i read an article yesterday, dated 2005, which described the 2 options to get better quality. One was pumping it from the kaiapoi aquifier all the way along lineside rd......this water wouldnt have needed treating but would require employing people to monitor it and higher power usage and the other was to get water from shallow groundwater from the Ashley Aquifer in the Rangiora area treat it using UV Disinfection which would mean new treatment plants etc. Looks like they still havent made their minds up what they will do!!