Please help with Firebellied newt questions

bedazzled

you can spend as much time as you want with them.

as for clean water they need a certain amount of clean water as the water they come from is in a stagnant ponds in asia were they are in the wild.

we have got 22 of these little ones and they are fun to watch and play with

I try to avoid touching them as they absord things through their thin skin. I have plants growing in potting mix so I have covered that with fine gravel to keep them away from it and I change the water every week or so. Mine has a small filter in the water but you need to make sure there is not much water movement blowing them all over the place. When young they hardly go near the water but are in it a lot when breeding. All about balance ---the more you have and the smaller the container, the more work to look after them. This morning I had 36 young ones in a 10 gallon tank but at that age you never see them in the water. They are mainly fed fruitflies, aphids and whiteworms. My breeders are fed on the land and in the water so the water gets dirty a lot quicker. I find the work is in looking after the babies which have not morphed--stopping them eating each other, feeding them well and keeping the water clean. Once they morph they are as tough as.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I'm investing in Firebellied newts for my 11 year old nephew,

I have just brought a Terrerium 60cm H x 30cm D x 60cm W been trying to get in touch with rockwork for one of those great backings for it thinking Grainy,would make it look really cool..

I agree there doesn't seem to be alot of the little guys around.

anyhelp would be appreciated

Thanks

djay

Make sure it is fruitfly proof, doesn't get too hot in the sun, has an area of clean water to go in if they wish (usually terrestrial till breeding at about 2-3 years). Feed a varied diet: fruitflies, whiteworms, bloodworms, aphids etc. Plenty of places to hide. You can encourage them to stay in the water by only feeding them there but I think that is not natural and I only feed my young ones on the land. Adults that are breeding spend a lot more time in the water and get fed in and out of the water. They are pretty hardy once morphed, are best not handled and are more active at night.

I have frogs and newts and they are seperate. As Livingart says you may get away with it but why take the risk. Since frogs have a pretty keen interest in eating each other the chance of survival of the newt would not be great unless it was adult. Newts have less desire to eat each other once they have morphed. I didn't realise my newts had bred until I saw a baby in there, had a careful look and removed 58. I put them all in another terrarium with less shelter and two weeks later had 30. If they are seperate they can't eat each other.