Most probable cause....

fins

What is the most probable cause of my dwarf cockatoo eggs going missing?? My appisto eggs keep disappearing from my cockatoo cichlid breeding tank. The tank is 288 litres so there is plenty of space, there is a variety of caves. I have 1 male cockatoo and 3 female cockatoos in the tank. Every week or so one of my females lays about 50 eggs and when I get back from school they are all gone, which one of the following is most likely to be eating them:

a- The male

b- The laying female

c- A jealous female that isnt laying.

The female chases everything away from her cave but maybe when she is out feeding one of the other fish eats the eggs.

thanks

I have a male and a female in a 24x12x18 tank all on their own (brought especially for them) with 6 caves/clay pots and heaps of Java Moss and Ambulia and they have eaten their eggs twice now. I feed them frozen brineshrimp, bloodworms and cichlid tucker as well as flake and pellets. I have even tried adding an extra female but had to remove her as the Male decided he didn't want her in the tank after a week. I am going to give them one more try and then I am going to stick them all in my 250 litre community tank and see who pairs off (2 males, 5 females), otherwise my Keyholes can have the tank to breed in - ungrateful Cockatoos! :lol: .

http://members.aol.com/WnyZman/articles.html

http://www.apisto.bravepages.com/apisto_Frame.htm

Cheers,

Matt

Well I tried to catch my Keyholes to put them in my 24x12x18 tank instead of the Cockatoos and after half an hour, a few uprooted plants and a lot of cursing I gave up and sat down and had a beer instead :lol: . I didn't even try and catch the Cockatoos they can stay there at this stage.

I have heard of one male breeding with five females before and also females stealing other females babies.

Unfortunately my male in my 250l tank with 4 females appears to have taken an oath of celibacy, all he seems to be interested in is food :D . The females are very amusing to watch guarding their territories though, there has been many a standoff.

Cheers,

Matt