A pond to envy

aquanaut

I have finally remembered to take some pics and a vid of the pond at my parents place. They are close to a river and it runs naturally underground through the river rock with a high static level.

They dug it out about 10 years ago and just let it do it's thing. There were heaps of large goldfish but when there are dry summers the pond dry's up. We try to take out as many fish as possible but over the years they have died off and been picked off by predators.

I find it amasing how the snails end up being in there from just a hole dug in the ground. The huge goldy is the last one left, Survival of the fittest one would say.

DSC00063.jpg

DSC00057.jpg

DSC00055.jpg

DSC00056.jpg

DSC00061.jpg

http://s467.photobucket.com/albums/rr31 ... V00059.flv

It looks clear from the angles i took the pond pics from, but is pretty green up close. The shallower part is alot clearer than the deeper part, All the photo's were taken at the same time. The rain we are having in christchurch at the moment has helped fill it up a little so it might make it through summer this year.