Fish ID Please

Coral

Hi, I was told the fish is a Demosoni, but it doesn't look like one to me. Demonsoni have four dark stripes on their body and this one has six and 3 spots on its bottom-rear fin. Can anyone please help me with identifying this fish? Thanks.

2.jpg

I'm no expert (but researching cichlids a lot) and it looks like a Cynotilapia afra or "white top" to me

I looked into the Cynotilapia afra on the internet, and I think you're right. His behaviour and appearance seems very similar to the afra. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. :D

Not really too sure and im not that flash with ids but its not a demasoni..

It is a very nice looking fish, could be an afra or some sort of zebra.. I guess it depends where it came from and what it was sold to you as? How big is he?

I bought a selection of fish from a seller on Trade Me, including two of this fish that I was told was a Demasoni. When I brought them home, and compared them to my own Demasoni, it was obvious they were different. He is about 6cm long now. Yes, he is a nice looking fish, and I think mj was right in suggesting it is a Cynotilapia afra. Thanks to everyone for their help! :)

While it may resemble an afra in appearance comparing your fish to an internet photo is not a definative identification of him.. It wont matter what you call him unless you sell him or breed from him and just plan to breed from him, but without knowing the fishes parentage or at least what it was imported/sold as it should probably stay unidentified.. I agree it is a nice fish and resembles an afra but you don't know if it is just a cross with some afra in its past that managed to throw back and look pure. Without knowing who bred it or what it was imported as (even though this is often dodgy at best as well) you will never know, it is the thing that makes africans so hard..

I have some of the afra strain that are in NZ this is what they look like I haven't seen any around that look like your one that doesn't mean they aren't around though.

DSC05311800x600.jpg

DSC00419640x480.jpg