Cleaning Up Old Glass Tank

Spink

Can anyone give me some tips on cleaning up an old glass fish tank>?

It's second hand but well built, sturdy etc but it has a few marks and scratches etc that I would like to remove if i can.

Is there anything I can use that will give the tank a bit of a new look, maybe polish it up a bit?

Others will have advice regarding cleaning up the scratches etc, but my main way of getting even the roughest tank looking nice is to 'frame' it with black electrical tape. (you can even get 2" wide stuff that looks great on big tanks)

The silicone is what lets old tanks down the most, and once it is covered up the whole tank looks a lot neater, even with all the scratches.

Now that could look really nice, Mark!

Did you just happen to have an old wooden louvre sitting around, or where did you get them from?

A less permanent solution could be to blu-tack them or similar...

does look great, had a look the other day.

Better than the black tape i had on some tanks in the past.

• 7 months later...
Can anyone give me some tips on cleaning up an old glass fish tank>?

It's second hand but well built, sturdy etc but it has a few marks and scratches etc that I would like to remove if i can.

Is there anything I can use that will give the tank a bit of a new look, maybe polish it up a bit?

soak the tank and use a stiff back razor blade to remove any removable mark while still filled with water

Scratchs... forget about them

If you need a couple of blades let me know and I will bring them down with me to the special meeting

Ohh nice ! that looks great. Im buying this tank off trademe, and i was wondering what i could do to neaten it up. ( cas of the messy silicone)

I love what you have done to it. I think i might get some wood with a carving in it and paint it to give a French kind off look.

8)

Vinegar and baking soda are my favourite cleaning products - and those brilliant non-chemical cleaning cloths!

Vinegar is wonderful for dissolving any hard-water residues around the surface of the water. Baking soda mixed to a paste with a little water is very gently abrasive and will help you scrub the glass and the silicone without scratching.

But my best discovery ever is the "Oates Clean" Enviro General Purpose Cloth. I got it from the cleaning aisle in the supermarket. It's just a white micro-fibre cloth that doesn't need any chemicals added because the weave of the cloth does all the hard work! It is now the only thing I use for cleaning my tank glass (in my set-up tank) because it is chemical-free and leaves the glass sparkling! :bounce:

I was going to say vinagar too for cleaning up the hard water marks. Soak a piece of news paper and lie it flat on the glass. Wait an hour or so and then remove and wipe clean.

I like the baking soda idea and I must try the "Oates Clean" Enviro General Purpose Cloth.

Does the Oates cloth do as well as the Enjo ones are supposed to? I have a friend who works as a motel cleaner and she swears by the Enjo cloths, also no cleaners involved, but they are very expensive. I wondered if the Oates one was a similar cloth.

Does the Oates cloth do as well as the Enjo ones are supposed to? I have a friend who works as a motel cleaner and she swears by the Enjo cloths, also no cleaners involved, but they are very expensive. I wondered if the Oates one was a similar cloth.

Dunno - I've never tried the enjo ones. Mine were just cheap from the supermarket and they seem to work fine. I wonder if someone has tried both?