trying to breed my siamese fighters

Dave+Amy

giving my fighters a go, the females (are both gravid) and the male has already built a bubblenest under a piece of poly and water sprite. The problem being the females don't seem keen, I've removed her several times 'cos he was getting too rough and have added bloodworms after hearing it puts the fighters into the mood. Still no mating...

A pic of the the male watching the female in the next compartment:

346950466.jpg

Male under his bubblenest:

346950536.jpg

Bubblenest on its own:

346950743.jpg

I had her in the next compartment and she was flaring etc at him and I think she's about to pop from how fat she looks. He's stopped beating her but they're not mating either.

Cam - the boy is one I got from you, the girl I got from Blue+Kim

She's presented herself to him once but he doesn't know what to do, just started flaring up next to her.

I put her in first yesterday but removed her into the nest compartment overnight due to him being too rough, this is the second day and he's settled a bit.

I accidently ruined half his bubblenest today from doing waterchange.

Cam - what do you feed yours when you're breeding them?

My first spawns I conditioned them up and then put the male in the tank and her in the container but once she went in the tank I just fed flake but she didn't get anything because the male attacked her everytime he saw her but I put a male and female together to grow them out a bit about 1- 2 weeks ago and just fed them flake and they acidentially.

Have you put something for her to hide in/behind in the tank as sometimes that helps.

Thats normal. She'll swim up to the nest when she's ready (even though he'll go up to her and the and get her to follow him back to the nest). She may get ripped fins and everything but they seem to grow back quickly. Once she's in the tank with him she'll get more eggs as well. When mine bred it took the about 24 hours and they'd breed at about 12pm - 4pm.

Also a tip. I've tried keeping the dad in with the fry when the bred recently (I didn't really mind if they lived or not as I wasn't expecting them) and it's been great. The fry seem to have grown quicker, I havn't seen and ones that can't swim properly (he's ment to eat the sick/deformed ones), he eats most unaten food and once they get bigger it's meant to reduce aggresion.

lol. Have you fed decap to any other fry/fish? Did they like it? I was thinking of getting some but wasn't sure if my fish would eat it and it's fairly expensive. What fish are you breeding now?

haven't fed the decap yet 'cos all my fish are too big for it and only my new small cardinals take to the microworms.

I have my pair of Blue Rams, my pair of Gold Rams and the fighters in the breeding set up. Had to take out all my Indian Ferns to catch the Rams :o had tonnes of fun replanting :roll:

finally the female released eggs..got home last night from dinner and found female paralyzed in the corner and some eggs that the male hadn't picked up and eggs in his bubblenest.

I don't think he's built his bubblenest that well 'cos the eggs do fall down every now but he does retrieve them.

I have a Q: how long until fry hatch and need feeding??

Well done! Eggs will hatch in 3-5 days and another 2-3 days before they go free swimming. That is the time to feed them with green water or liquid fry food from lfs. After 1 week (depending on how fast they grow) you can start feeding bbs and MW. only a little bit at a time so as not to pollute the water.

ron

Water is filled to about 25cm-ish, the female was removed after releasing the eggs. No water movement at all, can't see anything in his new nest :o

Will wait a few more days and hope for free swimming fry.

The male is still not eating though - does that indicate that he's still looking after eggs?

They usually don't eat much or any at all during spawning and tending the frys .

Best water depth for breeding fighters is 10-15cm. When eggs are laid, removed the female and leave dad and eggs along. If you keep looking at them or doing things in the other compartment you might make them insecure and eat the eggs. Being in a tank next to breeding rams doesn't help if they can see each other.

Individual tank will be the best and they don't have to be big (1ft tank)

ron