going away ...

mj

I am off to aussie again for 10 days and am struggling to get anyone to commit to looking after my fishies :(

10 days I will be gone and want to know how you usually cope with this. I have a few of those 7 day pyramid feeders and 3 days feeders, are these any good? I have 3 juvenile red empress, 3 juvenile yellow electrics and a bolivian ram.

My worst case scenario is to take one of my tanks to my parents place, get it up and running and then move them into that.

Ideally I would like to get a house sitter but as it is over xmas/new years most people are busy and/or going away themselves. I have 2 comets in a tank which I could feel comfortable with using the pyramid feeders on but the cichlids are my concern as they like to eat a small amount on a regular basis

any suggestions?

Most fish should be ok for that length of time without feeding. It is probably much safer go that length without feeding than that length with feeding by a stranger and no waterchanges...

I had a friend feed mine while I was away for a week, but he is a fishy person and was keen to help. I filled up an icecube tray with individual 'meals' so he would know how much to feed. Worked well. I am sure the fish would have been fine otherwise, but would have given me some Evil stares when I got back

(somewhat akin to this: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

:lol:

What is a pyramid feeder? Not heard of that before.

yeah David R - the ram is the odd one out - going to another tank when I get back (well the 3 empresses and yellows are moving into a new tank)

thank for the offer dave+amy :) I live on cuba st, michael fowler centre end .. I might take you up on the offer if I cannot get something sorted by next week

only reason I am really worried is after my last trip away - came back and everything bar a few snails was dead .. if it was only the comets (currently having a ball in 250 litres all to themselves) I wouldn't be so worried

I have left mine for 10 days with no problems, assuming it is a well established tank. Do not be tempted to feed them heaps before you go as this will foul the water. Do a water change a couple of days prior to leaving (this gives you time to note if there is a problem as a result) and make sure the filter is running well. Put the lights on a timer or turn them off.