Problems with Classic Ehiem filter

Jaide

I can't get my filter to get a good outflow - I have attached a new bubble wall to it, it bubbled really well for all of 5 seconds when I first set up the filter (after cleaning it out) and now not a single bubble - not sure where the outflow water is going if no bubble in sight. Maybe it's just not strong enough to generate any bubbles.

I've had enough of this filter - can someone please come to my place (Upper Hutt/Lower Hutt areas) and show me what I'm doing wrong. I have to use an oxygen stone to ensure the fish get enough oxygen in the tank as the outflow is so pathetic :roll:

OK, let's get past the bubble wall.....

if I have it's usual outlet in place, the flow is still sucky - there's not enough flow to oxygenate the water, so I need an air stone as well. The outflow is a trickle compared to how it used to be when I first got it - what would cause this?

It's not the media or hoses - they have been cleaned. Maybe it is the impeller? But it goes well for a few seconds from siphoning for the first time to slowing up immediately (the outflow anyway) - it comes out with a rush then recedes back to half flow.

I fill it in the sink through the inlet, and wait until the water comes out through the outlet at the top. It also helps to run it with the outlet below the filter so it doesn't have to pump as hard. It helps gets the bubbles out. However, I think my way of doing it might be the hard way, so I'd see if there's someone else out there that can give better advice

That does sound like a very hard way to do it..

I just stick it all together like im going to run the filter with the filter empty of water.. Then take the outlet lower than the tank open all taps and suck on the outlet pipe (if there is any water in the filter it will backwash any crap out of the filter into your mouth lol). You want to start a syphon through the filter this will fill up the fitler and all pipes you will know when its full because the water will rush constantly out of the outlet (hold it over a bucket) shake it around a bit while syphoning to make sure all the air is out..

Alternatively you can fill the filter as much as you can with the top off using a syphon hose and then tilt it to get it running, while its running shake it around a bit and play around with it until all the air is expelled into the tank.

That does sound like a very hard way to do it..

I just stick it all together like im going to run the filter with the filter empty of water.. Then take the outlet lower than the tank open all taps and suck on the outlet pipe (if there is any water in the filter it will backwash any crap out of the filter into your mouth lol). You want to start a syphon through the filter this will fill up the fitler and all pipes you will know when its full because the water will rush constantly out of the outlet (hold it over a bucket) shake it around a bit while syphoning to make sure all the air is out..

I've tried that - didn't work. I have the filter sitting oh the ground with tank on a cabinet. I tried removing outlet hose and had it in a bucket on the floor but it didn't help.

Alternatively you can fill the filter as much as you can with the top off using a syphon hose and then tilt it to get it running, while its running shake it around a bit and play around with it until all the air is expelled into the tank.

So, remove the top of filter and swish it around a bit to get air out? but if top if off, there won't be a vacuum seal so it will be filled with air :-?

this is how I do it...Fill the filter with water, put it in place. Before placing hoses in the tank I pour water down the hoses using a small kitchen funnel and a jug until they fill. You will hear bubbling in the tank. Start the filter it will bubble out the last of the air and its away.

I poured a jug of water into outlet pipe so any air should be forced out inlet pipe and switched filter back on again - it seems to have worked as pressure is so much better :bounce:

I removed oxygen stone (goodbye noisy air pump) and am running the tank with the outlet trickling over the top of the water level, hopefully that's enough movement to generate enough oxygen in the tank.

Thanks for your help everyone! :bow: