About Moors with other goldfish...

Finny

My little moor is hiding, he's fine, but behaves differently from the others and is smaller. He keeps going back to the same hidey-hole. He's useless at finding food and might be a bit stressed judging by erratic swimming, and sulking. ... I think.

Shall I separate him from the others? How severe is this issue? Anyone else got info?

As usual while looking for more info (about sexing goldfish) I've found my Answer in some previous posts by Caryl. ...who is saving New Zealand's goldfish from the plight of ignorant owners like myself. It seems that it's most likely that he is very stressed because I have too many fish.

Now I'm thinking that there's a company in Auckland that provide big vertical fish tanks in waiting rooms all over town... I've been going on that... I guess their tanks are pretty big, but they often have about six fish in one tank.

Not ok? I have three 1 year old fish and two younger in about 100 litre tank. Probably I'll move black moor out into another tank now I know this.

(reformed fish-owner :( )

The number of fish you can keep in a tank relates to the capacity of water (litres) but also to the surface area as this is where the exchange of gasses takes place. Airstones only increase the surface area and therefore allow for more fish. Those tall tanks are actually a very poor design because they don't have much surface area for the volume they hold. A goldfish pond has a large surface area in relation to volume and is therefore a good design.

What sort of goldfish are the moor's companions? Is he the only fancy one of the lot? Moors have long flowing fins and are not very good at swimming (same can be said for many of the long finned, fat bodied goldfish). Depending on what other type it has been crossed with it may also have those stupid (my bias is showing here :lol: ) googly eyes so will have trouble finding food as well.

If it is smallest, and the others are faster swimming comets or a faster swimming type, it will be intimidated. The others will also be beating it to the food so it is possible it will starve to death.

I don't have trouble with long finned goldfish being in aquariums, assuming the are large enough, but I do believe short finned varieties should only be kept in ponds.

i think minumum for goldfish is 25l per a fish but that obviously excludes the tall skinny tanks as they have very little surface area compared to the volume of water so the water will have less dissoved oxygen. 25l may seem like alot but many poeople who buy goldfish small do not know that they will get massive (and sadly many goldfish keep in bowls and the like do not last long enuff to grow big), secondly goldfish are messy so water tends to get polluted easyier so a larger volume of water slows . ur black moor will be fine just make sure he gets fed and has somewhere to hide

wierdly... well, I decided to take him out.

( He's younger than three of the others, (two fan types, and one great big comet called copperguy), so now he's livinghappily in a giant hospital bucket with girly who I've decided is completely fine with her white sides.)

Now wierdly, Copperguy is hovering near the ground in the same spot. Maybe It's just the best hiding place.

I figure my fish are pretty well off for oxygen now. I might get a second tank later as they get bigger.

There are four in about 80 litres, and then 2 in about 60.

Or one day even a pool..

: ) but it would need to be built by me, because inheriting annoying ponds under trees that get too much sun, and leak is a complete nightmare.

• 2 weeks later...

:(

I thought everything was under control, and they all had luxury conditions by now. Then this. What! He was in a hospital tank with girly. Who was the one with the problems... now she seems fine.

Could it be too fast water flow? Girly was the same size and has those googly eyes too. Or maybe picked up original fungal condition, but for some reason succumbed wheras girly has gone on for weeks and weeks.

No evidence of that though. Just a bit slimy.

There is slime in this hospital tank. hmmm