Fancy pleco photos wanted

flatfish

I'm writing a couple of Aquarium World articles and am after a good image of a clown pleco (Panaque maccus) and a small spot gold nugget (Baryancistrus sp. L81). Has anyone got images that I could use (with acknowledgements) for the articles. It'd be nice to just pull them of the web but there are copyright issues doing that. And a big thanks to those that have helped out already with other images. :bow:

Top photo is definitely L067 psuedancistrus and not a gold nugget at all.

That name was given to these fish by the importer who had no idea what fish was. Same importer who named L168 buterfly a "bumblebee" and a unknown ancistrus "blue spot".

nice young clown shots.

This is 11cm male

w-DSC_0039-1.jpg

awesome. great photos of very nice fish. thanks guys. I have now have all the pleco photos I need at the moment. :lol:

Nice to have a "flathead gold nugget" in the article as well, even if they are not a real gold nugget. Still a great looking fish anyway. Would be nice if the importers used L-numbers and accepted common names off say Planet Catfish, or just L-numbers if they dont have a common name. No wonder people get confused. At least the L-numbers are often but not always reliable when they provide them. Thanks goodness for the big catfish websites.

Apparently theres a major project underway to describe all the worlds catfish in the next few years, so hopefully most of the L-numbers will have a species name within the next five years. Theres several pleco species that have been scientifically described recently.

Please don't call it "flathead gold nugget", or if you do be sure to point out that it isn't a correct ID for that fish. It would be better to set the record straight earlier rather than later.

Perhaps a paragraph or two discussing the situation here where importers should be using other avenues as their creative outlet, and not the creation of fish names.

It will be quite clearly stated that this is not in fact a gold nugget, but rather it will serve to highlight the problem with common names, particularly those that are generated on the spot. A similar problem is with the bluefin Panaque which is a species of Ancistrini (L239).

Thats why I like the L-numbers because a lot of people dont like scientific names even when they are described species, and at least the L-numbers are often accurate.