red stuff on fin

piggyvir

I discover there's some red stuff on some of my oranda's tail - it looks a bit like a scratched acne... the tail is slightly torn where the acne is...

I tried to catch a pic of that but my fish is just swimming too fast...

Also, one of my fish got a lot of tiny little holes on the tail, it has been like that for years... can someone tell me what it is??

Is there any way to promote tail growth??

I have started my first journey of breeding, half of my babies died in the first round but I am getting better at it !! I look forward to raising my second batch !

Red streaks in the tail can be caused by a number of things;

1. Poor water quality. Check ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Some say red streaks are associated with either high nitrate or low oxygen. More water changes are the answer.

2. Bacterial infection. If water changes haven't helped, test results show water quality is good and the fish is lethargic, then a bacterial infection may be the problem. You can buy meds for bacterial infections. Do not medicate unless you are sure of the disease!

3. A natural colouring in the fish. If they are very pale coloured fish the bloodlines show up in the fins.

If the red streaks are associated with ragged looking fins it may be a bacterial infection or a result of vigorous spawning.

Thanks - i have been changing and cleaning filter. The nitrate level is much better now but my fish tail still got the red stuff on it.... got streaks AND some red 'pimple'.

Is there anything I can do to help tail growth? I had a very bad fin rot a while back and I am just wondering how I can help my fishy to recover... how long does it take to regrow fin anyway??