Turtles- What is here? What is legit?

Varanophile

Apart from redears, snake necks, and a couple of cooters what is here or has been here in the past in terms of turtles? I remember soft shells in the 90's for sale in auckland..'pig nosed' I think they were called.

If any works for MAF and reads this, what is allowed and what is not??, we will all put away for the knives..lol...I saw some the other day in a private collection that were not any of the above, the owner has never supplied an area to lay and has not bred them, they are 15 years old. I thought this would kill them as they would become eggbound?? Maybe all males? And they are not for sale...or swap..I tried...very hard.

Maybe a silly boy for posting this, but tired of all the games...hothouse, you would probably be the best person to comment...should you so choose!!

forgot reeves and what about box turtles or are they tortoises :oops: ?

some turtles lay in water if they cant find anything better and possibly they will eat eggs therfore owner never seen em but maybe never produced?

either way give lay spot and start feeding up :P

as to what is legit who really knows anymore :evil:

there are leaf turtles which have been bred in small numbers of late,have seen cogwheels but not for a few years now,could be some out there still?Americans call the boxies turtles but to my way of thinking,although they like a swim and like good bit of mud etc they are way more of tortoise than a turtle?There are 3 toes,and the odd eastern and ornate,also an odd Gulf coast and florida box.Pretty sure there are no more diamond backs left now but you never know what is out there?

I think that between everyone's replies most species that I have seen here are covered with the following exceptions:

2 x Species of Leaf Turtles: dentata & atripons

Australian short necked

Australian long necked 3 x species: longicollis, broadshell & oblonga

Cumberlands

Painted

And there are no doubt other odd bods out there still alive that appeared in the Pet Shops many moons ago.

Like many animals, some turtles won't lay and/or breed if the conditions are wrong. There are Cyclemys dentata females very old, been with their owner for many years and never laid an egg. Once conditions were changed to their liking they laid. There has never been a male present. What I'm trying to say, is that is not always as simple as throwing a pair togeather and expecting results.

What was the species that you saw recently H??

I think that between everyone's replies most species that I have seen here are covered with the following exceptions:

2 x Species of Leaf Turtles: dentata & atripons

Australian short necked

Australian long necked 3 x species: longicollis, broadshell & oblonga

Cumberlands

Painted

And there are no doubt other odd bods out there still alive that appeared in the Pet Shops many moons ago.

Like many animals, some turtles won't lay and/or breed if the conditions are wrong. There are Cyclemys dentata females very old, been with their owner for many years and never laid an egg. Once conditions were changed to their liking they laid. There has never been a male present. What I'm trying to say, is that is not always as simple as throwing a pair togeather and expecting results.

What was the species that you saw recently H??

Is the painted an aussie? Yellow face, pink under shell. I can not find them on any internet searches. Not a long neck species and seemed very aquatic like a snake neck.

Is the painted an aussie? Yellow face, pink under shell. I can not find them on any internet searches. Not a long neck species and seemed very aquatic like a snake neck.

This sounds like an Emydura species. I have seen only E. macquaria here in NZ. For example Ivan has one. I have never seen or heard of the "painted" Emydura, E. subglobosa here in NZ.

I would very much doubt that there are Australian Pig nosed Turtles in NZ. These are very rare in Australia, require large ponds and would take your hand off in a flash if it was mistaken for food.

I do know that in the old days that there was a place in Auckland that traded in plants but all so did a lot of import and export of things .

Over the years that I went to visit there was all was differed things there

turtles ,newts ,tortoises,.

All so a lot was sent out like hedgehog , Rocks ,Magpies and Red Back Kangaroos just to name a few

One of the turtles I do remember seeing is one like this

turtles-2-1.jpg

This sounds like an Emydura species. I have seen only E. macquaria here in NZ. For example Ivan has one. I have never seen or heard of the "painted" Emydura, E. subglobosa here in NZ.

I would very much doubt that there are Australian Pig nosed Turtles in NZ. These are very rare in Australia, require large ponds and would take your hand off in a flash if it was mistaken for food.

Which is the one at Ivan's?? Pig nosed that were here were either Brazilian or Asian, not the aussie one....which is my favourite turtle..they are cool, are they not genetically identical to the ones in Papua New Guinea? Do not think they are subglobosa..colour not that spectacular, but not the Murray river one either.

I do know that in the old days that there was a place in Auckland that traded in plants but all so did a lot of import and export of things .

Over the years that I went to visit there was all was differed things there

turtles ,newts ,tortoises,.

All so a lot was sent out like hedgehog , Rocks ,Magpies and Red Back Kangaroos just to name a few

One of the turtles I do remember seeing is one like this

turtles-2-1.jpg

I was born in the wrong era...stink...

Which is the one at Ivan's??

E. macquaria is the one at Ivan's. You would need to forward some good pic's for me so they can be identified, or purchase "Australian Freshwater Turtles"by John Cann. If it's not in this book then it's not Australian.

The Soft Shell's around in the '90's were Asian ones.

E. macquaria is the one at Ivan's. You would need to forward some good pic's for me so they can be identified, or purchase "Australian Freshwater Turtles"by John Cann. If it's not in this book then it's not Australian.

The Soft Shell's around in the '90's were Asian ones.

so if they are not previously known to be here are they legit?? The circle completes itself....I think I will let the guy keep them and focus attentions elsewhere

The circle completes itself....I think I will let the guy keep them and focus attentions elsewhere

I think you would be wise to walk away, as to my knowledge, what you describe, have never been a known species here in NZ. I could well be wrong, and if anyone wants to put this right.........

I have seen the ones at the Napier Aquarium and they are no way any thing like the one that were from Auckland ...

The ones in Napier are huge ....

and the ones that were in Auckland were ment to be adults and no bigger than a red ear....

The biggest problem was that the person who had these had to leave for health reasons...(out of the country )... and when he left the collection that he had went all over the place but do now that one person got most of it ...his brother.