Why do my Fish Hide?

Spink

I have a Jebo R3100 which has been set up for just on a year now.

About two months ago, I decided that tank was a little heavily planted and I wanted to create a bit more free swimming space up the top for my fish.

I found a wicked piece of wood, re-scaped that tank - I was happy.

Problem is, my fish are not.

Some of the fish started hiding under things - the complete opposite of what they used to do. I changed the tank so i could see my fish, now they're all hiding from me!! :o

Here's a pic or two of the tank as it is now:

tank020.jpg

tank042.jpg

I know my tank is over stocked, but here's what I've got:

Khuli, corys, pygmy corys, 1 CAE, 2 SAE, 1 giant golden barb, checker barbs, 4 different types of tetras, honey gourami, baby mollies, badis, pearl leopard and albino danios, and 2 female fighters.

They've all been living happily together up until the recent change, now my danios are hiding out majorly, and i don't see any of the tetras (I have to check daily to make sure they're all still there!)

I took all the floating plant out when i changed it but have recently put a whole lot back in to see if it would help.

Does anyone have any suggestions or bright ideas as to why they're all hiding, and how I can get them to come out?

Thanx!

I found the wood (the twisty one) down by the river after a big storm!

I have 4 neon tetras in the tank, and I know I need more, I've just been waiting until I have the cash to buy some more.

Do you reckon if I put a whole lot more neons in there that would help?

The two female fighters may have to come out as they seem to be having a few problems in that tank.

I think they hide because the honey gourami in my tank seem to be the dominant force at the moment. one of the males has just started bubble nesting and is very territorial!

My neons are funny - until yesterday i thought I only had 2 of the four left because I only ever saw two at any one time. then, i finally saw all 4 together so that was cool! I thought one of my fish had eaten them :o

I'm with David.

I would suggest that even when your tank was more heavily planted the fish weren't entirely "happy", but you had created a whole lot of little spaces/'sanctuaries for the fish to divide up between themselves and so more easily avoid confrontation.

Now as you say one fish has dominated the one space so sent others scurrying for cover.

I'd either be looking to reduce the amount of species and then increase the numbers of what you keep, particularly schooling fish-safety in numbers.

Tank looks great. Moving the big piece of wood on the right to the centre will also divide the space so the dominant fish wont lay claim to it all.

Even getting some of the tangled wood higher in the tank will provide a greater sense of protection therefore confidence, without compromising your objective as replanting would.

On this topic, when I set up my 5', I got a bunch of random tetras from Hollywood that a customer had dropped off and they couldn't be bothered sorting. I acclimatised them and dumped them in the tank and with in seconds there were three distinct schools (lemons, xrays, and neons) from about 8 to 20 in number all swimming in different directions doing their own thing. I wish I'd taken a photo now!