YAY OUR COCKATOOS SPAWNED TOO

Dave+Amy

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was told by two different people who've bred them not to tamper or remove the eggs...easier to shift one or both parents. The female can be left in with eggs and sometimes both parents aswell, really depends on the pair...and was told that when fry hatch the Mum is more protective of the fry and sometimes even shifts the fry round in her mouth...so many different stories/ways of breeding I guess it's really just trial and error and lots of patience :wink:

:cry: Went looking for mum in the community tank and found her dead...when I fished her out she had a couple of tiny holes in her so am guessing she probably took on someone who fought back..am really gutted. :(

On a happier note...Day 2 and the eggs are still in the breeding tank with other mum steadfastly guarding them and dad looking on from a great distance :D

Thanks! Not sure who the culprit is...maybe clown loaches coz mum took over their cave..the holes were quite tiny, like pin head size, am guessing they weren''t bite marks :( the dad is swimming round looking for her I'm sure otherwise he's moved on and looking for another mate :-?

DaveAmy - you can remove the eggs and raise them artificially just stick an air stone near them for water movement and meth blue or other anti-fungal in the water.. The mothers are usually pretty good however do eat the first few batches you usually dont take them off the parents unless you really really need the babies or the mother has had heaps of goes and failures..

Tracy sorry to hear about your fish, it is very hard to identify what happened from markings on a fish after it is dead as they can usually be from fish who tried to eat the dead fish afterwards.. Glad to hear the other pair are doing well :)

my pair won't be laying anymore :cry::cry: found the male dead under a sword plant this morning. Recently he's been really secretive and hiding and I thought it was only a turf thing with the new Rams in there and on closer inspections he's got a fat belly... :cry:

Now I'm on a hunt for a male...

Mark...Here's Hoping :wink:

Cichlid...Both lots of eggs my females have laid were a light brown/terracotta type colour so not sure if that's any help to you :o

Amy & Dave.....BUMMER about your male :( ...would you like to sell me your female to keep my lonely male company? :bow:

OR is there anyone out there whose coming down this way who could pleeeease help out Amy & I? :bow::hail::bow:

Sorry to hear about your male I hope you find a good one :) Remember to qtine all of your fish when you buy them..

I think my female is guarding one or 2 babies still had quite heavy losses though don't really know why though.. It is her first go so will try again later :)

And an extra canaster wont mean less water changes the 2 filters will still convert the same amount of ammonia to the same amount of waste you have to water change out.. Only difference is your water may appear cleaner (less crap floating around) but that is not really why water changes are needed..

well I read this thing about how Discus will release pheromones to suppress other Discus from growing so if the water change is not frequent I'll end up with some runts etc...plus I do feed Beef heart+prawn feed in the morning, NLS pellets in the afternoon and bloodworms at night - so I do water changes everynight to keep my tank clean :o

They're all above 8cm mark and growing well :D (no runts so far)

My male is in a 300 x 350 x 350, female died within an hour or so of letting them out.

New female coming on Tuesday :D

My new female arrived on the 25th Nov, spawned either on the 30th or 1st dec. Looks to be about 30 - 40 eggs.

All good at this stage.