Best substrate for oscars?

Olly

I'm getting a 5ft tank that so far will have 2 oscars, 2 severums and a pleco. I will get an ornate polypterus before too long. What would be the best substrate for them? I like the look of the red stuff I have seen in a few photos, would that be suitable? and where can I get some?

Also what would be other suitable tankmates/are the current ones ok? Tank is 540L will have a 3ft, 130L sump and pump will do about 4500 Lph, so filtration will be decent

I'd suggest a normal gravel of some sort. Colour of your choice.

The cichlids will dig it up and move it around as they feel like anyway.

Not sure how many more tankmates you will want. All the fish you have can reach a foot long and will make that tank look pretty full in time.

Sounds like a nice setup though 8)

Ian

What are the dimensions of the tank? With the fish you're talking about footprint is more important than total litres.

Make sure the ornate has a good head start on the oscars, otherwise it will end up as spaghetti. You might also want to train it to hand feed from an early age, otherwise it could be hard to get food to it with out the oscars getting it first.

Most people here will shun you for mixing a frontosa with those fish, but plenty of people do. Keep the pH around 7 and it should be alright. The biggest problem would be the difference win growth rate between the front and the oscars.

And for the substrate, just about anything will be fine with oscars, but the red grit you're talking about would be better for the bichir than pea gravel.

Not a great idea mixing a Frons with a Oscar, Oscar will bully the Frons as they can be skittish and shy fish. You need something that can hold its own like JD's, Plecos etc.

The bigger the gravel (for the Oscars) the better, and they will move it all round the tank, including big rocks. Heater guards are good too, as Oscars get huge and can pack a punch if they are chasing something around the tank or get a fright.

Frons are best in a higher PH, or you might find you will loose it in a hurry. (unless raised in lower PH, but still, not good for the fish)

HTH.

Best of luck.

Lucid