Hello everyone, I'm in Auckland with my 6 goldfish...

Finny

Hello everyone, thankyou admins and those responsible for this site. I've had my fish for over a year in an outdoor pond, and I've wished for a site like this several times.

Now I've brought them in and got a closer look at them I see they are a motley crew indeed :D

In fact they're weird looking and deformed and quite fantastic and one of them has a very odd growth on it....

as well they're more personable than I expected and more interactive too and quite nice

I'm looking forward to learning a lot and sharing and just watching how it's done

but I'm going straight over to the 'help what have I got myself into' section to ask for advice now.

Hi Finny, this is a really great place to get advice from and get to know a few of the locals who have been doing this stuff since before colour tv. Not only that but this is the place to get in touch with those who love fish keeping and helping others succeed in it.

snaap 100 posts

Thanks for yr interest Caper

I originally thought the fish could just live in the little pond outside and protect us from Mozzies, then I discovered that there was a quite a science to fish-keeping even with goldfish. Then ...well the pond leaked and was too shallow, and got way too much sun but only for part of the day and way too many leaves and threatened to become putrid.

I've been flushing it manually using the hose, using additives, and a few times cleaned the whole thing out. Now my little boy is walking (running diving) I don't have the capacity, anyway we're shifting. Also it's safer and more interesting for the littlies to have a defined boundary between our world and the fish's world!!

The pond idea is great but I'd rather plan my own or inherit one that has had some thought behind it.

The tank is 900 x 300 x 300

the fish are all between 1 and 18 months

do you think size is ok?