Guppies...silly question number 4:-)

karynjoy

I got some guppies of TM that arrived a couple of days ago. I've been on the internet doing a search on which is a female and which is a male. (I think I've figured which is which, and I think that some of the females are pregnant) Took a while, i thought I was looking at one of the males extra fin thingies underneath , and then it dropped off.. Hmmm!!! My question is ..they all look so different, do guppies breed with other fish? One has a clear tail with a yellow spike at the bottom kind of like a sword tail but not as long. I've looked at a heap of pictures but havn't seen anything that looks like it on the guppy websites.

guppy.jpg

Top pic - female

Bottom pic - male

In my experience I have never had a guppy breed with another type of fish but I think I read on here not long ago that it had happened.

Guppies breed non stop - if you want the young to survive have plenty of plants floating on the top of the tank and hiding places for them. The mother will also eat her young if given a chance.

Um yep it was a poop, it was small when I didn't realise what it was!!! I did think at that stage it was some little tube thing I was supposed to be looking for.

I have got some java fern in the bottom now, will that do the trick for babies to hide in? ...and big pebbles in different parts of the tank.

:o lol i have had guppies for one month maybe less, i got ten and then the man gave me about 2o when i brought another ten

god knows how many babies i gonna end up with I ALREADY HAVE TEN BABIES that i can see !!!!!!!

like poster above said get lots of plants, they grow and you can trim them and grow more bits etc

:o lol i have had guppies for one month maybe less, i got ten and then the man gave me about 2o when i brought another ten

god knows how many babies i gonna end up with I ALREADY HAVE TEN BABIES that i can see !!!!!!!

like poster above said get lots of plants, they grow and you can trim them and grow more bits etc

Man, this just makes me laugh. :bounce: I have a 3ft tank, it started off with 3 fish. I now have about 400 in there, and I've sold them all down to about 20 fish like 5 times. Don't stress, you'll soon have HEAPS of babies. :bounce:

Hey KarenJoy!

If you want to have some luck saving your guppy fry, try having a big area planted up with something bushy like Ambulia or Cabomba, and have some floating plant like water sprite/indian fern.

That way the fry have places to go and hide. You could also try having a big bunch of Java Moss in there too.

I just discovered the tiniest platy fry floating in some weed a few days ago, and now I have it in a plastic guppy breeder so i can target feed it and it won't get eaten by my other platties. It's only my second EVER platy fry!