I cant see the light

skuzza

I just started changing from fish to a reef tank.I cant get any straight answers on lighting.My tank is 2100Lx1000Wx680H.I dont mind making them if anyone knows where to get the parts that work.From what i here they can be priced out of this world so i want to get it right the first time.Also do you need a light on your sump and if so why.It is in the wall so the back of it is in the garage under the clear lite roof so i leave the lid open during the day which seems to keep them going well , but a bit of a worry in winter.I like the crisp clear look with a blue tint which i have seen on the reef tank that turned me from fish only.Also what sort of benifit do these nitrate and calcium reactors have?do you need them?.I dont mind second hand,any help would be great.

Thanks

For your size tank I would get 3x250w. You can get the ballast from Radium lighting in Auckland. Hoods I am not sure of but Radium might be able to help. Get double ended bulbs fc2 fittings as single ended bulbs are a pain to get. Get 10-20k.

That is a big tank to light. You will also need some lights on the front and back of the tank. Try t5s which are like normal fluros, but they are heaps brighter.

Calcium reactor is a luxury item, not really required unless you have lots of clams and acropora,

Nitrate reactor is only required if you can’t keep your nitrates down, say below 5ppm. For acropora 0 is ideal.

Sump does not have to be lit unless you are keeping caulapera in it to help with nitrate and phosphate removal.

Also do you have a protein skimmer? For that tank you will need a large skimmer.

Pm me if you want any bits, I am going to have a cleanout this week so I will have some second hand stuff .

Recommend you get a decent book as some info on the net is outdated. Also get a book named: Ultimate reef aquariums: it has lots of details on tanks and equipment.

Recommend you get a decent book as some info on the net is outdated. Also get a book named: Ultimate reef aquariums: it has lots of details on tanks and equipment.

i thought it was the other way around??

but even so i would get a few good books, better to have on hand for coral ID and better having a hard copy than having to be on the computer all the time.