Guppies dying

Olly

That's a lot of fish in a small tank that is only 3 months old. Have you checked the water parameters? Buoyancy problems can be a result of poor water quality or internal infection. If infection, it may also show a lack of appetite, lethargy, redness etc.

Have you had the same fish in the tank all the time? And where did the fish come from?

I only ask because I know that some shops are having trouble keeping guppies alive they seem to be so inbred or have some other issues that they just gradually all keel over and die.. Might be something to consider?

Another theory is that some imported guppies carry diseases that they are immune to and these are all slightly different.. You will be fine as long as you keep the fish together but as soon as you add them from different places the different diseases wipe them all out.. Just something I read unsure if it has actually been proven or anything?

• 2 weeks later...

i went to the pet shop yesterday and brought 3 guppies one male is dead and one female is also on the brink of dying.

its a new tank, water is at 26 degrees has a power saver bulb over the tank for 12hrs a day. and at the moment im only feeding the tropical fish food. what am i doing wrong?