Egg tumblers

Ktttk

Air stone under a breedind trap - just stripped my big Demmy girl this morning, eggs happy. One winked ar me :wink:

I have eggs sitting in a net with an air stone underneath. I have too many eggs and they are all bunching up - don't think they are getting enough circulation. Anyway, I'm having a go at a DIY tumbler, will post pics when completed.

Bunched up?-

how much room do you reckon is in mums mouth?

Well I managed to strip 5 females who were holding eggs yesterday - so I have about 50 odd eggs to tumble. I left them in a small net with an air stone underneath last night. Found a number of them had gone white this morning. Not sure if they are just infertile or because there isn't enough air circulation. So thats why I am having a go at making an egg tumbler.

what sort of survival rate do you get on them?

If they have reached the wriggler stage when I strip them, then its usually 100% survival rate. However, if I strip eggs, the survival rate is around 50% - I use to keep the eggs in a net and put bubble air underneath it. With the DIY tumbler, I have only found 1 dead egg so far.

I have had crappy success rates with stripping eggs too :( But can get them all to live or very minimal losses when stripping after they have hatched I generally wait 2 or so weeks before stripping to ensure they will all make it.

Demasoni babies don't tend to grow fast enough to start eating each other.. I haven't seen any africans that have yet, however if you want them to all grow you can seperate them out into batches so the smaller ones get food. This wouldn't be a good idea with dems though as they need to be in groups to reduce aggression.

I might have to separate this latest batch from the others as I'm pretty sure they will be eaten. The other fry I have include yellows as well and they are about 2cm. I'll probably raise them in a floating trap until they are large enough to avoid being eaten!