Eheim v Fluvall

paekakboyz

FX5 it is!

Yay for you and congrats on your decision! Hope you love your new FX5.

Personally I have two Eheim 2026 filters running on my 200 litre tank and I absolutely love them. They are quiet, reliable, effective and very low maintenance.

I'm all in favour of running two smaller filters on a tank so if you choose to, you can do a really thorough clean of one of them without worrying about crashing the bio-filtration. It also makes it much easier when moving house or setting up another tank, because you already have a pre-cycled filter handy.

And because I have two separate intakes and two spray bars, I can choose to direct the current in whatever direction I want. As a result I hardly ever need to do a gravel vac because there are no areas of dead water in the tank allowing detritus to accumulate on the gravel.

If cleaning your Eheims is a big issue you could try putting a Fluval 4 sponge cut in half over the standard Eheim intake screen or even better a Cosmo Double sponge filter. Just pull the bubble tube bit off the Cosmo and the standard Eheim hose fits straight into it. I have had this system running now for over two years and never touched my canister. It is a bit ugly but easily hidden behind a big rock or log. Mind you I do clean the sponges every water change which is no big. When you notice them starting to invert you know it's overdue for a wash! :lol:

Had the FX5 going for nearly 2 weeks now and I'm stoked with it. Setup was easy and the instructional dvd was pretty cool.

After tinkering with the outlets I've got the flow moving how I want it and the fish love it - pretty wicked watching 25 cardinals 'surf' the current... its like those turtles out of finding nemo!

I totally packed the FX5 baskets with noodles from my old Jebo 819 - obviously new sponges so there was a slight spike but reg water changes sorted that out.

will update in a couple more weeks.

• 1 month later...

whoops had forgotten that I was going to update how things were going with the FX5 - had been having a bit of an algae issue due to moving plants etc around but that has settled down and the water is crystal clear. Have tinkered with the flow to get it just right and I'm stoked with how well the FX5 is working out.

Haven't bothered to open it up for a clean etc as the flow is still strong, and I've resisted the urgeto open it up just for kicks etc as well!

One really great aspect of it is the strainer attachement on the intake - does an excellent job and hasn't even looked like clogging.

Overall I'm very happy with the filter and loving the fact that if (ha ha when!) I upgrade to a larger tank it'll handle it no worries.