R O water

Sally J

Do RO water units usually come with a pump to force the water through the membrains? OR, Can the normal water pressure do the job? I bought one, which came without a pump and now I have seen a unit cheaper that comes with a pump. ??I think I've been ripped off!! :evil:

Do RO water units usually come with a pump to force the water through the membrains? OR, Can the normal water pressure do the job? I bought one, which came without a pump and now I have seen a unit cheaper that comes with a pump. ??I think I've been ripped off!! :evil:

I think it all depends on what your mains pressure is, it should say on the unit or with the paperwork somewhere.

The unit with a pump may just provide the unit with the correct pressure to the unit.

Do you have a header tank?

At the end of the day you get what you pay for in regard to the quality of the unit and quality of water it puts out.

I know one unit the lab just brought cost thousands.

Is your one working?

I have never seen one that comes with a pump, there is an ideal range of pressure your RO should be getting, which is the same as normal mains pressure. If your pressure is really low you will waste lots more water. If it is too high it can damage the membrane.

We are on tank water and have found that the pump which supplies the house runs every 2 minites??? we are assuming it is the RO water filter which is doing it. Our electric bill will be huger than normal and those blokes at Contact will make MORE money!!!! Must change that too!!!! Anyway, my tank is looking great!!! I have put most things in my 6ft. I have a clarike Clown here if anyone wants him. Two fish are going to heaven and I will put the others in the big tank, then I can dismantle the 4ft and sell it off. Seems no one want to buy it complete.

We are on tank water and have found that the pump which supplies the house runs every 2 minites??? we are assuming it is the RO water filter which is doing it. Our electric bill will be huger than normal and those blokes at Contact will make MORE money!!!! Must change that too!!!! Anyway, my tank is looking great!!! I have put most things in my 6ft. I have a clarike Clown here if anyone wants him. Two fish are going to heaven and I will put the others in the big tank, then I can dismantle the 4ft and sell it off. Seems no one want to buy it complete.

Heh, If it runs for 5 seconds every 2 minutes that's 1 hour of running per day. If it's an approx 1kw pump that will mean it will cost you in the region of $.20 per day or $6/month. If you have a marine tank and $6/month is enough to be noticable on your powerbill stop stealing power to run your tank from your neighbor.:) An average set of metal halides would use at least $50/month.

And I found my pump cycled more like 5 seconds or so every 5-10 minutes when running the RO>

If you on tank water like me... think of installing an accumulator so your pump does not have to kick in every few minutes which will be hurting the pump/electric motor they don't like starting and stopping continuously. It will also help with the throughput through the ro unit. Also remember that you have diffirent rated ro membranes ... typically the higher flow rate the more expensive.