Starting all over.

kiwipete

I am thinking of starting up again from scratch with my tank. For this I will be having my fish hosted at a friends place with 1/2 the tank water and one of the filters.

I want to replace all the substrate shingle with silica sand, inserting another large piece of driftwood and replanting it all.

I plan to scoop out the substrate and existing plants, but leaving 1/2 the water in there. Adding the sand and plants and topping back up with warm water. This will all be done over a period of an hour or two so I don't there will be too much of a problem with the remaining filter.

The tank is 450x450x900mm.

How long should I wait before I re-introduce my fish?

actually I didn't even bother to rinse it. I put it into the tank just to see how it would look, then when i was ready to set up the tank I couldn't be bothered taking it back out to rinse it. I had no probs at all with it.

Pool filter sand is quite coarse, its what I use. definitely rinse it before use, once it runs clear it will settle straight away.

I have stripped my tanks down several times using the rubbish bin method and never had any losses, try to keep 50% (min 30%)of the water and you'll be sweet as.

GLuck

I recently set up a new tank with new substrate (also silica sand) old ornamants and an old filter which hadn't been used for a few months - used most of the water from previous tank (which filled up about a third), added fresh water, threw the fish straight in and bob's your uncle. I don't believe in mucking around with cycling and such and never had a problem. So long as you use previous water from a tank as a base, you're fine :)

Pool filter sand is quite coarse, its what I use. definitely rinse it before use, once it runs clear it will settle straight away.

I have stripped my tanks down several times using the rubbish bin method and never had any losses, try to keep 50% (min 30%)of the water and you'll be sweet as.

GLuck

Thanks, this will do me just fine.