Brand new koura

museeumchick

Indeed, crayfish have a high coolness rating on the coolness index.

oh I forgot to see which sex it was! Shall have to visit it sometime ;)

Glad it is settling in well and keeping you entertained.

One of my plans for today is to get a thread up with some photos from our spotlighting trip :)

:lol: yes, but it seems a waste of a good hand :wink:

The only time I have hand-fed mine was trying to give it a pea and the kokopu kept trying to steal it. I had to put it directly into its 'hands'! Even then the kokopu still tried to steal it off the cray...

Kokopu are *insectivorous* :roll:

Looking good Ian. Is that a recent photo?

Thanks Stella, I had a quick look and had all questions previously asked answered.

I now have the following questions:

What about pH preferences?

Will they eat snails?

What will they do with plants?

I also read that if you have more than one, one is going to be come dominant and harrass the other.. what if I had 3?? It'll have 2 friends to harrass??

I have a AR620 (approx 90 litres) just sitting around growing algae and its home to a million snails. Want to do something with it. Thought it might be suitable?

pH

No worries. There is a lot of variety in the wild. Stable 'any' pH is better than unstable 'ideal' pH.

Snails

They may eat them. I have never been too sure if they do. Could be interesting to put one in a bare tank with a bunch of snails (only they can't walk in a bare tank...)

I would say they would give it a go. Probably depends on snail species (size, shell strength)

Plants

Don't bother. They will unearth them on purpose and accidentally, and they will eat them. Will drive you mad. Either go for plants that are already floating or disregard them entirely. Plants are not often found with crays.

That said, a bit of ponga frond looks lovely in a tank. Provides a bit of textural interest and vertical stuff. It slowly goes brown but doesn't disintegrate.

If you have two, one will get hassled. If you have three, two will get hassled... :lol: :roll: :wink:

Unless your tank has an enormous ground area and a million hiding places, there will be hassling, if not cannibalism.

One is fine on its own.

I don't know what that tank is like, but for any natives they need ground area over depth. Ian has his cray in a tank with quite a small ground area and it seems to be doing fine, but I like giving them lots of space to rummage. Personal choice etc.

Oh the tank is 62cm long, 38 wide, 53cm high

The tank is ready to go, all cycled, has gravel and some larger rocks in it, could make some caves too.

And thats good about the plants cos there is only one sorry looking plant in there at the moment, so doesn't worry me at all if it gets destroyed.

The snails are just small brown ones, they made their way in on a plant purchased from LFS.. pond snails perhaps??

Do they have lighting requirements??

And I can just go down to my local river and have a look for one??

That should be fine :)

Caves are a must for crays. Not just one but lots all over. The more caves it can hide it, the more secure it feels and therefore the more you will see it rampaging about looking for food. (they are surprisingly timid critters).

Just pile some rocks hither and yon, making sure they are stable.

Lighting is not much of a worry. Light enough for you to see in. Their eyes are weak and probably not keen on bright lights. And of course without plants you don't need strong lighting.

Yep, you can take them from rivers/streams. Bag limit of 50 a day - good luck finding that many! :(

Romeo had a lot of trouble finding one around Chch. Streams in a bad way.

Go out at night with a strong torch. Look in the slower, shallower areas. Or go during the day with a net and lift rocks and poke through vegetation. During the day you usually won't see them until they are in your net.

If you ever want to return it (or any other native critter) it MUST go back to the same spot you found it.

Cool, thanks for all your advice Stella!

The lights in the tank I would say aren't very strong, they are on individual switches too so can have both on or only one on.. one would probably be enough perhaps.

Off to find me a koura! Well not right now but later maybe. :D I'll start with the Otautau Stream which is just over the back of our house, then try the Aparima River. I've definitely seen them in the Dunsdale Stream years ago, but thats a bit of a drive from where we are.

:lol: yes, but it seems a waste of a good hand :wink:

Looking good Ian. Is that a recent photo?

No, it's an old photo. It's moulted since then so it's slightly bigger and the tank is slightly greener :-?

SouthernG. dont worry too much about the lights, my koura tank has no lights, just normal room lighting and the koura seems a lot more settled and is out around the tank most of the time. He seems to have learnt the the lid moving means food, and will climb up on the wood waving his feelers and looking for the food.

They certainly like some hiding spots, and can dig and move even large gravel to to get things how they want them.

Mine lives in a 18l tank by itself, gets fed a sinking catfish tab or 1/2 a pleco tablet each day. Have had it 6 months, one moult and zero problems, so they are pretty easy to keep. Keep the water cool and fresh and they will be fine. Not running bright lights will help keep the temp down too.

I'm not brave enough to hand feed mine.. I'm sure you could, but I'm not sure how good they are at telling fingers and food apart.

Ian

It is not so much the manuka leaves that attracts them, as the hiding places.

There are hardly any plants in lakes with koura, because they like eating them, but conversely they like hiding in vegetation.

They did a study to show that lakes with no weeds were actually able to support weeds, but it was the koura that stopped them growing.

To test this they anchored a submerged raft to the bottom of the lake so it was floating above the substrate and out of reach of crays. They put heaps of weeds in pots on the raft.

Then they found the common bullies had totally taken over the raft and were uprooting the plants and chucking the soil out of the pots and using the pots as nests!

:lol: bullies rock!

They are so much fun, I suspect they killed my lily and one other plant in my pond. Strangely enough they appear to have left the other 5 alone.

I have lost the tags to two plants, but the others in my pond are :

Juncus Effusus (common soft rush)

(Bugger my torch just ran out! Time for the back up)

Ranunculus Amphitirichus (Waoriki) NZ Native

(Ewww! Its 1am, cold and pissing with rain! Why am I doing this now!)

Rotala Macranda

They were all left in their origional pots, and the Koura definately go around them all, though they do prefer the deeper part of the pond to the shallow where most of the plants are.

P.