Cloudy Water

piggyvir

Hi there

I have set up a tank recently, a second hand one I bought off trademe. I have 11 fish in 210 L tank and 3 weeks ago I discovered some of them has fin rot. All of them are treated but a week after adding carbon, one of my fish got white spot (she's a female...)

since then, my water has been in this milky colour.. any idea what's going on with my tank??? I tried pulling out gravel but it's not helping :(

Thanks

usually once a week and now i have increased to twice a week..

30% water change each time

After scrolling through the forum.. i think perhaps I am over feeding my fish..

because they are sick, i thought feeding them more food is a good idea :(

I have a couple of oranda and black moors with very very fraying fins. I think fin rotting has stopped but any chance for them to grow back? I have been adding melafix to the tank everyday now... the white spots start dying...

Maybe try 50% water changes for a while.

I don't have cold water fish but I think the fins should grow back if they haven't gone too far back. I've seen tropical fish recover fully from fin rot.

Is the carbon still in the filter? If it is, remove it. It will strip out the meds.

I had a guppy one time who lost his tail due to fin rot but it did grow back. I had a goldfish loose a tail fin and it never grew back right. (both fish are gone to fishy heaven).

I have used melafix in the past but I recently used it and lost the fish anyway. I think, depending on the circumstances, I would only go with lots of water changes unless I definelty know a fish needs meds and what kind.

I agree I'd through the carbon out. I don't know if it can but I'd be nervous using it second time around in case it's harbouring some nasties.

Caper

just reading more about treating sick fish in general (trying to be a responsible owner!)

Should I add salt to the water? I have a 210L tank, how much salt should I add? I read about a link saying 1 teaspoon per gallon. Based on that calcualtion, I need to add up to 40 teaspoon? Also, how to see a sign of distress????

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/treat ... nfresh.htm

Also, how to see a sign of distress????

Watch your fish and you'll get used to their "usual" habits/behaviour. Then if something changes, it may or may not indicate something is up.

Some signs that could be stress, others can please add:

-breathing heavily

-gulping at the top of the tank as if they need more air (example, say in the summer the water in the tank goes really high, which could reduce the amount of air)

-flashing - looks like they are scratching themselves against objects (they may do this once in awhile but if it becomes more constant then something could be up)

-a fish that is normally out and about is now hiding all the time

- not feeding like they normally do

Umm, what else folks?

Caper

Update - my water quality has improved after i stop feeding the fish for 2 days and remove 50% of water everyday. Two of my fish are still heavily infected by white spot. The white spots disappear and come back again :(

i have been using Melafix on a daily basis and have already isolated those sick fish in a water bucket (i know it's not ideal, but I don't have a hospital tank :()

I will keep you guys posted !

I think in New Zealand, folks correct me if I'm wrong, you need something called Wonder Tonic...could be the wrong name. Somebody tell her the name of the cure for ich.

When treating for ich, you must remove the carbon (if you have any in your filter, as the carbon will remove the meds). The treatment for ich only kills the "parasite" after they fall off the fish. Follow the directions for the treatment and follow exactly as it reads. For example, the stuff I bought here, luckily haven't had to use it in over 2 years! Anyway, I had to do a 25% water change, treat, then so many days I think, treat...anyway, all the treatments must be kept up till all visible signs of the ich are GONE! Meaning that you usually treat for a period of time after there is no more white spots on the fish. Geesh, does that make sense?

Caper