Where to buy gravel?

jerrygarry

I would like to setup a bigger tank, heard that the LFS gravel is very expensive, just wanna to know where can I get some cheaper one, with ph 7.0 in Auckland?

and if I want to have some fine gravel, e.g sand in ph 7.0? or silicon?

and the 4ft tank in Hollywood is about $180, is it cheaper to find a tank builder to build one? because I would like to have a tainted background one.

Many thanks for answering the question

look at it this way if you by cheap cheap you get cheap cheap, they use 2nd hand glass so for starters your tank isnt as strong and you could have scatchers on it , also you have to no how to make a good tank, i have watched my father put them together and could do it but then it wouldnt be as good as him because he has been doing it since adam was a boy, in other words only buy a tank that is mad by someone that knows what they are doing! remember its only silicon that holds most of the tank!

and the tank is the most importent part because 4ft of water on your floor is a lot!!!!!

You cant go too fine with the sand otherwise it wont sink. Go to a pool shop and have a look at some pool filter sand, its pretty cheap (mine was free) and works well. Make sure you rinse it well before putting it in the tank.

As for the cost of tanks, glass isnt cheap, and as people have said there is quite a bit of skill involved in making a big tank. You get what you pay for. If it was <100L then I wouldnt be too concerned, but 4' (200L+) could get very messy if the tank isnt built properly!

• 1 month later...