Sump

Ira

pies - where who when???!!! i want to buy some and setup my sump so if the water level drops below a certain level it automatically switches off the return pump (coz it cant run dry) i've only seen some from these guys:

http://www.accurate.co.nz/LevelSwitches.htm

Im also going to have the power switch in the sump room for the return pump be controlled by a switch upstairs near the back of the tank (so if a pipe bursts while im upstairs i can flick the pump off quickly) not sure if I will have this switch control just the pump or power to the whole room. What do you reckon?

• 3 weeks later...

MYSUMP2.gif

Well after some thought and your ides i came up with a new design for a sump one with the skimmer at the start to remove organic matter and with bio balls underwater at all times i hope....

I visited a few shops over the weekend as i do and they all had different advice...

one said yes to bio balls and one said no way dont use them for nitrate reasons so still confused as to use them or not..?? HELP HELP

and another shop had air pumping thru the tanks at a huge rate and said it was good for the tanks i always thought air bubbles where bad..?? HELP HELP

nice, but i wouldnt use bioballs or filter wool. i would only use bioballs in a hermetically sealed chamber for bacteria to grow on/attach too (like a nitratereductor) not physically in your aquarium sump with the rest of your water. but thats only my opinion :) others will have a different view of course...