Dwarf Cichlids

Hi guys,

yesterday I got a male and female Dwarf Flag Cichlid and a male and female Triple Red Cockatoo. The Cockatoos are only about 3cms - 3.5cms and the Dwarf Flags are about 4cms. How big do they have to be to breed? The male Dwarf Flag is hanging around a small piece of driftwod in there. What can I do to get the dwarf flags to breed in there? I'm feeding them quite a bit of food to try to get them and the cockatoos fattened up. Also the Cockatoos have a HUGE mouth for their size. They've been hiding for a while but when I fed blood worms they were up around the top and eating heaps just sucking them in.

Hi All

it's not getting "Dwarf Flags" to breed, it's stopping them. :wink:

How many hundred do you want? I can supply at least 250 at 2.5 to 3.5 cms. :wink:

Mine bred in a community situation in a 35 litre tank and both parents raised the fry. I took dad out and a couple of weeks later I took Mum out; and as a pair of angels spawned I needed the spare tank (I only have 50) so what did I do; yep, I put the parent Flags into the same tank, and yep, two days later there's another couple of hundred or so eggs. :roll:

DwarfFlagCichlidandBabies18-07-08.jpg

DwarfflagCichlidMum02-07-08.jpg

Eggs are visible on the rock.

Good luck.

:bow:

Hi All

The Latin / Scientific name for these little beauties is: Laetacara curviceps.

It was latterly Aequidens curviceps or Acara curviceps.

www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_curviceps.php

It has also had the common name of "Sheepshead Acara".

It is also very closely related to Aequidens dorsiger, commonly know as the "Stupid Cichlid" because you can pick them up in your hand. :roll:

I did import some of those way back in 1976 but I doubt anybody has any left now.

Good luck

They're a really awesome fish. It looks like I should've asked on here before buying some :roll: . How big do they have to be to breed? Is there anyway to trigger them to breed? My males about 5cms and the females about4-4.5cms. Is this a good breeding size? I also have a pair of cockatoos. Is there anyway to trigger them to breed?

No. I may be moving them to their own planted tank that only has a pair of breeding BNs but I'm not too sure yet so I may try peat then. I've also read that just keep them well fed in a clean healthy tank and they'll breed. Should I just wait until they breed then move them to their own tank?

If I set up a tank with lots of caves and rocks an stuff could I add the cockatoos and the dwarf flags to them same tank and try to breed them together? Also the if I move the BNs to a different tank will they stop breeding?

With the cockatoo's just leave them alone and let them settled feed them up and wait for them to breed.. I remove the female and the egg's let her raise them by herself.

With the dwarf flags probably easier to put them in their own tank, you could do the cockatoo's and flags in the same tank depending on its size.. I would try and stick all the things you want them to spawn on/in at either end to encourage them to have half the tank each. I have found when keeping 2 pairs in the same tank sometimes they spawn at the same time. You don't want them both trying to breed close to each other and scrapping each other out male cockatoo's can get grumpy.

Yeah the cockatoo male is a bit grumpy :roll: . I thought If I had cave and all that at each end and then sort of have it so it's hard for them to see each other when they're in there caves?? I'll have to think about how to do it. Will it be OK to redo all the tank with the BNs in there or will it stress them and stop them breeding? What should I have for them to breed in? I want to try rocks but dont really know how I would do it.

How big is your tank? Maybe your nice flat rocks at one end for the flags and some caves at the other end for the cockatoo's and some plants inbetween?

For cockatoo's I used film canasters (the males do outgrow them) and small terrocotta pots around the same size.. Bilbo uses half coconut shells with holes drilled in them. The advantage I find with the ones I use its its very easy to remove eggs and female because it holds water and she just stays in there.

Moving the bristlenoses shouldn't upset them too much but bristlenoses are random breedings.. They breed strong for ages nothing changes then they stop for ages. If the male has a fav ornament or anything then move that with him it will help.

Hi All

Cam, I think your tank is a bit small at 50 cm. :oops:

The tank in the pictures of mine is 75 cm X 20 x 20, and as I said it was a community situation and you can clearly see the glass divider I put in with a fighter on the "Other" side.

When divided it was still 55 cm long and mum did a great job of rearing as you can see.

I didn't condition them at all specifically; in fact they got a few "Mozzie Wrigglers" for a couple of days then went on to our Freeze dried Bloodworms along with broken up KRILL.

Well fed and clean water:......that appears to do it for me. :wink:

:bow:

Hi All.

This is a simple cave / swimthrough that I used for my Pandurinis.

Apistogrammapandurini.jpg

This is what I used for my cockatoo's. Simple but it worked as the eggs show.

A-1.jpg

The eggs were artificially hatched as you can observe.

Dont make too much of a fuss; it doesn't happen in nature.

Just keep them well fed and secure in their surroundings and the rest will follow.