Help - pH issues

Tigger

Hello,

Haven't been on for a while as everything had been running nice and smoothly but something is definitely up with our tank. The pH has gone haywire, its always been 7.5-7 but recently dropped to 6, I've been doing a 25% water change every other day and today when I tested the water the pH has dropped to 5!

I have no idea what could have caused this. We do appear to have lost a couple of fish over the last month and no bodies have been found but the amonia and nitrite levels have stayed at 0 so I'm not sure if it is that or not.

Can anyone help :(

In the meantime I am off to do another water change

The tank has been up and running for almost a year now and the pH has always been steady until recently.

We have 6 neon tetras, 1 dawrf gourami, 3 dwarf chain loaches, 2 zebra danios and 5 neon dwarf rainbows.

No wood or anything in the tank to cause any problems, decoration takes the form of some terracota pots.

Water changes are done through syphon to help keep gravel clean as well, not sure of pH from the tap to be honest but unless the council has made some serious changes to the water in Hamilton recently would this really have such a big effect?

The tank is a 60l one, I'm not sure of the filter, its one of the ones that hang of the back with the inlet in the tank, we are pretty good with our filter maintainance though, cleaning one half one month and then leaving it for a month or so before cleaning the other half so we don't wipe out all the bacteria in one go.

I know we aren't perfect with our regime but it has worked up till now and we haven't changed anything we do to suddenly cause a change and prior to the last week the pH has always been 7-7.5.

carbon has to be replaced depending on usage every 4-6 months )

otherwise it will build up nitrogens and dump excess back into the water crashing yr ph this may explain yr problem remove all carbon clean yr filter out in water from the tank give it big 50% water change and see what happens ..although carbon is great for keeping the water clean most fish keepers dont use it unless they replace it regularly or only if they want to remove chemicals after dosing for a disease or such

hth

mr pleco

p.s cleaning it dosent mean the same as replacing it ,its a disposable item kinda like a cigarrette you cant smoke it twice

We haven't tested it recently, I'll do that tomorrow when we get back from the rugby just to make sure its not gone funny. Mind you we have two other tanks and the pH in them are fine so it makes me thik it is something in the tank rather than the water we are putting in.

we tested the tap water last night and came out at a pH of 7. The tank water dopes slowly seem to be going back to normal, now at 5.75 thanks to every other day water changes, fingers crossed it keeps heading in the right direction. Still have no idea what could have caused the drop though which is a pain as then I don't know what to do to stop it happening again :-?