is my plec sick?

R32GOTMLK

hi all i lost a fed spot plec a few weeks ago its belly got real big and then it died thinking it might have been bloat? or something along thoses lines..

now one of my other plecs is looking fat not sure if im being paranoid, but better to be safe than sorry

heres some pics

cheers Matt

DSC00603.jpg

DSC00598.jpg

I had a seemingly well (acted and ate normally) bristlenose swell up and explode. A couple of others said they had experienced the same thing. None of us knew why though :-?

One would expect it to be something like bloat or constipation. I don't even know if they get bloat.

I've been told from good authority (a fantastic bristlenose breeder) that if they eat bad food, they can get a bad infection in their tummies, which causes them to get constipated, swell and die. I've had 3 go like that (not all at once, thankfully!) and it's really horrible. Give the tank a really thorough clean, making sure you vac the bottom, where all the bad food sits.

You may find you can't help this guy, but by keeping the bottom nice and clean, you should be able to prevent it from happening again. If he is still eating, try some peas or something else that may help move his bowels along.

Good luck

A healthy plec can go along time without food -is too much food an option?

They are seceptable to bacterial infections in there stomach, particularly wildcaught fish.

Really its the water quality and right now I'd recommend regular and decent water changes, get a air bubbler in and oxygenate water, the plec will appreciate that if it is under stress, even increase temp to 28-29.

Overseas they regularly give antibiotics.

Another thing to consider and possibly unrelated is that although they appear armour-plated they have quite soft delicate bellies. That gravel looks like it'd be a little harsh on the stomach. It does look like theres some minor damage to the skin on the rear portion of the belly.