clown loaches in comm tank - how do i feed them

henward

Clown loaches are slow growers, but they can live a LONG time.

In ideal conditions they might sprint to 7cm in the first year, after that it's 2 or 3 cm a year, Max.

So those monster ones are 10years + old.

Big tank, good water conditions, lots of sinking food and they will grow. Make sure you have a decent group, one or two on their own will be shy and maybe not feed as well as they should. A big group is more active and will come out and mob the food more.

200l tank, you dont want them growing too fast, they are going to get too big eventually.

Ian

200L is a bit on the small side for clowns, are you growing them up to go in your big tank? In a 4' tank (which should be minimum size tank, even for small clowns, if you want them to grow and not get stunted) they should grow quickly (well not pacu or arowana quickly, but not as slow as people make out) to around 12-15cm and then slow down a bit. A good varied diet will help (mine love shrimp and zucchini) as will a strong current.

How many have you got?

i have seen pictures of 11 inch ones! i want 11 inch clown loaches! lol

Me too! My largerst is probably a solid 7", seems to have had a growth spurt recently. All mine eat Hikari cichlid gold pellets off the surface too. When they're hungry they'll swim around in a frenzy clicking at the surface scoffing down pellets, sometimes the cichids have a hard time getting them!!

Hey now I'm sure this has been discussed before but are you aware that in a group of clown loaches the 'alpha' of the pack actually secretes a hormone which can stunt the other clowns growth?

I read that a while back and find it totally fascinating.

Apparently other fish do it too, like discus...

Weird huh...

:D

Star^<><

Hey now I'm sure this has been discussed before but are you aware that in a group of clown loaches the 'alpha' of the pack actually secretes a hormone which can stunt the other clowns growth?

I've heard that about discus and polypterus, but never clowns. Where did you read it?

Just another reason why big water changes are important even if your parameters are good, there's a heap of other things we don't test for that could build up.