HEATING LIGHTING AND FILTRATION OF MANY TANKS!

StarFish

I know alot about fish and plants, but just not enough on the big scale side of many tanks keeping.

(I would love to own my own FS oneday lol. WHO WOULDNT?! :wink: )

HOWEVER I need to learn some basic setup skills first.

So my question is, how to heat and filter and light many without having to use seperate heaters and filters, lights for every tank.

What is the best way of doing this? and also preferably without drilling holes into glass :-?

Granted our tanks are quite large so they may need seperate filters for the bigger ones....

:D

Star^ <><

The tanks im doing at the moment will be all filtered using sponges and box filters with a central air pump, cheapest way of doing it to.

This way along with water changes will be just as good as other types of filtration.

central filtration systems are more convenient as there is only one to deal with, BUT it also means if one tank gets a bit out of kilter, or gets a disease, then they ALL get it...

I would be incredibly leery of doing central filtration.

Hit Bunnings, trademe and demolition yards for light fittings and plumbing bits. DIY rather than expensive petshop lighting and filters.

Hey thanks for the tips, if you could give me more information in a basic step by step way in regards to the central box/sponge filtration system that would be great!

Or even pics! even awesomer!

Thanks loads for your help guys it really is appreciated!!!!

Star^ <><

I am planning on using a large air pump connected to 15mm pvc pipe, then drill holes above each tank and add a 6mm rubber gromet and push in some 6mm airline tubing to go to each filter.

Found this to be a good option as some of the gang valves can get a bit dear. The gromets cost about 40c from memory plust the cost of pipe and fittings to the pump.

Box or sponge filters can be brought from a shop

Your first priority is to insulate the hell out of your fishroom. I used to heat 50-60 tanks with a 1kW heater which hardly ever went. I have seen lots of people get all enthusiastic and get heaps of tanks set up until they get a couple of power bills then they are out of the hobby.

You could try talking to your landlord, say you are planning on being there long-term and do they have any thoughts of selling or moving family members in at some point.....

Also, as Alan said about people going nuts then quitting, apparently this happens a lot with people simply setting up fishrooms. A massive amount of maintenance is required, even on well-set-up ones, which can get very tiresome very quickly. Do you have the time to do this properly?

Depending on the size and number of tanks, I would go with multiple tanks plumbed into a sump. Not your entire fish room on one system, but 2 to 6-8 tanks depending on size all running as one. Quarantine all new arrivals to minimise the risk, and make sure you steralise nets, hoses etc when moving them between systems. That, plus a well insulated room heated by a heatpump, is how I'd do it.

But if you're renting you WILL have to move at some point, so don't get too carried away. As someone suggested, talk to your landlord about how long you can stay, maybe even sign a 2-3 year fixed-term agreement.

LOL well we rent through Harcourts and I have asked them about a time frame but they can never give a solid time frame.

Nevermind.

Well Ive been in the game for quite some time, when I lived in the UK we had 7 tanks going at once. including a 6footer, everything seemed cheaper over there though LOL.

Ill see how I get on.. now Im thinking a bearded dragon would be COOL! hahahahaha fish,cats, dogs, reptiles what next?!

we used to have frogs and newts in the UK too, I do have a lot of spare time and enthusiasm, just not a hell of a lot financially unfortunately.

I would love to have a super sized outdoor aquarium one day, you know the one, the one with MONSTER fish, OH YEAH! :D

Hi All

It really depends on what you want "TO GET OUT" of your Fish Room.

I'm quite happy with 50 tanks in my Room and am also very successful at producing large numbers of fish.

I"ve included a couple of views of my room to give you an idea of how "I" do it.

IMG]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/amazonianfish/FISHROOM-1.jpg

FISHROOM518-04-08.jpg

IMG]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g71/amazonianfish/FISHROOM218-04-08-1.jpg

:bow:

Amazonian that is so awesome! Im Jealous MUCH! very nice.

Where did you get your shelving system from? I rung mitre 10 to see if they did the big metal screw together shelves and they said they dont... :-?

I have issues trusting bracket shelving like that though.... lol :lol:

Star^ <><

Dixon that is so awesome! Im Jealous MUCH! very nice.

Where did you get your shelving system from? I rung mitre 10 to see if they did the big metal screw together shelves and they said they dont... :-?

Star^ <><

They are not Dixons tanks he just fixed the photo's for Amazonian

they are Amazonian's tanks

Amazonian that is so awesome! Im Jealous MUCH! very nice.

Star^ <><

Ummm...Yeah they do have those shelves at Mitre 10. About 10 different types.:)

Hi All.

To answer the question as put originally; :oops:

The Blue tank rack was made by me out of EFS Steel to hold four 24 x 12 x 12 tanks for breeding angel's.

The stand on the righthand side came from SPOTLIGHT when the store was being built.

I had to do a lot of modification to make it so it holds fifteen various sized tanks.

The end wall rack is from Mitre 10 Mega and holds three 18 x 9 x 9 tanks for artificial hatching of Cichlid eggs. :wink:

The rack holding five tanks is also from Mitre 10 Mega and is for COOL water species.

Leopard Fish (Caudo's) x two top tanks.

Aphyosemion australe

A. nigerianum

A. nigerianum (albino)

:bow: