Cheap and easy tank stand! HOW??

StarFish

Ok so over the last 2 days I have scored 6, YES 6 very large fishtanks.

All without stands or anything.

I want to know whats the cheapest and easiest way to make stands for them that will take the weight.

Like blocks and wood? Im not too handy so wont be making my own cabinets in a hurry, but something that is durable and cheap to set up, because I dont mind putting material over the ugly part and making do.

Largest tank must be getting on for 300 - 350+ litres.

Any suggestions, photos, tips and examples would be most welcome.

:D

THANKS!!!!

Star^

Cinder blocks and board. Not very elegant but it is cheapest. You can cover the blocks with material if you want.

Blocksleftfront.jpg

The 3 striped sandwich under the tank is;

bottom board - support

white strip - polystyrene

top strip - Pinex heat pad

I had a similar one for an old tank of mine, you can get cinder blocks with flat ends, they look a bit cleaner. I bolted my blocks together but 'no more nails' would work, just makes it all a bit more earth quake proof.

I used 20mm MDF shelves from bunnings for the shelves, stained then varnished to seal them but any oil based paint would be ok.

Just watch that the stands end up being VERY heavy, you pretty much need to build them in place.

Thanks Caryl I think that is most probably what we will do.

Where do you get heating pads from and how much do they cost?

I might post a new topic about heating and filtration of many tanks with one swoop is that makes sense.

We have 6 tanks that we would like to run etc and if we can do this altogether somehow that would be awesome.

star^ <><

Well just an update, we bought 6 hollow concrete blocks today (have only used 4 though) and recycled some slats from an old bed and some flat wood board and measured it all up appropriately and now are currently filling the tank up. so yay! It doesnt look fantastic but it was hella cheap at $2.41 per block! and recycling is even better!

It is a 216litre tank :D Will up the pics when we have finished.

Have decided to move the cichlids in when its ready and turn the old cichlid tank into a gourami/tetra tank... we shall see though, might sell it yet.

Star^<><

Ah well here it is! the budget stand - thanks everyone for your tips and advice, here is the finished product.

Firstly it was really easy to do, was really cheap (only $2.41 per concrete block) and we recycled some slats from an old slat bed of ours.

We only used 4 blocks, didnt feel it needed a middle support as its only a 216litre tank, and could take 2 heavy peoples weight while bouncing in the middle lol.

The slats are 2.5cm in thickness, we double layered them so its 5cm thickness, plus a thin flat layer of wood on top to create an even surface.

We didnt used polystyrene, we used a blanket, Im confident about it, but will update you if the tank dies on us :( fingers x'd lol.

I think as far as cracking goes my tip on DIY tank stands so far is make sure the tank isnt hanging over any edges so that it is on a flat even surface. (DUH I know that sounds lame, but Ive seen people do it!!! have a tank that hangs over its base edges and end up cracking underneath :-? )

ANYHOO ENOUGH TALK HERE IS THE END RESULT :D

2916113571_06ff59eabe_o.jpg

2916113251_6bb2028596_o.jpg

looks good ay! nice and simple yet effective. i would recommend poly tho for conserving a lil heat in the tank/taking out minor unevenness. like you say tho it's not a huge tank. oh and what would really finish it off is a drape around the front. i used velcro spots (that i had to glue on as the sticky on them wasn't strong) and put it up to hide the underneath of the tank. just a suggestion, nice job :)

ps another good thing bout heatpads is the heat creates a lil movement in the plants' roots helping them to grow better.

WOW!!! I'm so impressed with these stands. I've pondered long and hard how to make simple, strong and safe stands for tanks - this never came to mind!

Now I don't have to worry about finding the right table for the tank every time I move house!

:hail:

:bounce:

=)

Its still touch and go we will see how it goes.

The only thing I would change now is maybe make it a little more permanant by attaching the wood to the blocks etc, however the weight is enough for it to be pinned down to the blocks.

And add a middle support so my mind is completely at ease, however Ive seen much bigger tanks with no middle support so Im sure ours will be fine.

And yes I will def use poly next time! however Im still pretty confident about it.

Yeh the blanket isnt doing it for me and I will change it at some point with something a little nicer.

Star^<><