tank for growing plants...

Spink

Does anyone or has anyone had a tank set up specifically just for growing plants in?

I have been offered a 3 foot tank, and some of my plants do so well for me, i was considering setting up a tank just to grow cuttings and runners in.

Just wondered if anyone was doing it and what sort of medium used, lighting etc

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I've been using my fry raising tank to grow Ambulia and Hygo cuttings, but someone suggested I do it a bit more permanently and sell the plants on when they're a good size. Did you use a CO2 thingee? I'm not up with the play on those and whether I would need one or not.

If you're thinking of selling plants on, I think the most important thing from a buyer's perspective is knowing what other organisms they may be getting along with the plants.

If you have a plant-only tank, you would need to make sure it is snail-free and algae-free (at least free of the really annoying/invasive algaes). When I sell or give away plants from my tank I can guarantee they are snail-free because I have a bunch of hungry loaches in there! :-?

I had thought about having a skunk loach in the tank, and/or some cories just to keep the bottom a little cleaner. Then maybe a few guppies or tetras to get a little benefit from having fish in the tank. I have unfortunately got a snail problem with some of the plants I recently purchased, but using things like Snail Rid never seems to work very well for me, and it can be nightmare trying to pick them all off. Any other suggestions for removing the snails?

I definitely find loaches are the best snail-ridders around. Because they're always busy actively seeking out the snails, they are an ongoing solution.

In my experience they eat all the adult snails, and perhaps they don't eat the eggs but as soon as the new snails hatch out of the eggs they get gobbled before they can reproduce the next generation.

I have deliberately put plants in my tank knowing they are full of snails just to give my loaches a snack, and I have never seen the snails again - they certainly didn't get established in my tank.

• 4 weeks later...

well, after a long think, a bit of decision making and LONG talks with other people, I have decided to go ahead and set up a tank to grow plants in, but as part of my breeding scheme as well.

I have THE most gorgeous guppy which I am going to breed, and him and his girlfriends are going to live in the tank to breed while I grow the plants.

The down side is I have to shut down my goby breeding tank, partly because of the cost and partly because the BBG just won't breed for me yet.

Could they possibly go in the new plant tank as well as a bottom fish? They'd all have their own space and caves with plenty of room.

Any thoughts?

So here's a pic of the tank thus far.....not sure what some of the plants are - some i had in my tank already, and some are bits i got given; others are plants I purchased from a particular store in which the retail staff could not tell me what they were called :roll:

fishandplants003.jpg