Native marines

Diver

ok, 7" crayfish. Red Moki do get large over time, but are very slow growing and slow dramatically after reaching 10" or so. Should be able to keep him for a number of years before returning to the sea. He has grown 2-3 cm since I caught him in a rock pool at Muriwai beach about 14 months ago and is very healthy.

Shawn.

thats a great story.

i have a 5ft tank full of stuff, but still no fish or shrimp.

went out again this weekend, sat and sunday, saw 1 shrimp at takapuna boatramp and couldnt catch it. tried 3 wharfs and no fish, so on sunday drove around all the beaches and wharfs in south auck and spoke to quite a few people, to see if the got any fish, seen any fish, will sell any fish, a resounding "no" is the answer i got all day.

so i think i might look for some one who sells live bait.

how hard can it be to find little fish! :-?

maybe you could tell me where you found your fish? were they all from muriwai?

i have stocked my tank from port waikato.

thanx

neopole

Gidday Neopole,

You can get some very good fish at the westcoast beaches: Murawai, Bethells, Whatipu, but Muriwai seems the best. You need to really pick your swell and tides though. Swell needs to be 1m or under and low tide needs to be .7m or lower. Not many days per year like that. I got the hiwihiwi, blue Maomao and Red moki from Muriwai. Also a baby scarlet wrasse that unfortunately jumped out of the tank and I chased a small school of small bigeye around and around a rockpool for hours once but couldn't catch.

You will need to decent size nets, the warehouse sell black ones on a 1m handle for only about $5 and the are excellent as small fish tend to head to the black area. I have two 20l buckets with that I've attched battery operated airpumps on to and drilled holes through with air lines to attach airstones. You also need a venting system on the sealed lids that will allow air to escape but not water in the car. These will keep fish alive for days if you replce the batteries. Without these they run out of oxygen in hours.

The porore and bluecod were caught by barbless hook on fishing line, but again you will want to drop them gently into the aerated bucket with out touching them.

The olive rock fish was caught from rockpools at Tairua.

2 excellent spots for collected varied life are Whangaparora, near the end of the road after gulf harbour there is a small park on the left (Fishermans gap??)and path down to extended rocky shelves with plenty of rock pools at low tide, and also Torbay over the shore. This is an excellent place to get shrimps, both for display and live food. You have to lift rocks in the sandy/muddy rockpools on the southside of the Tor, and scoop under the rock with your net. You'll get some good size ones there.

Good luck, you need plenty of perserverence, and ocassionally you get lucky.