Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dwarf Loach

Featured Replies

Hi, here I am again with another question. Some 9 years ago- (yes 9!!) I purchased 4 Dwarf Loaches ( Bodia Sidthimunki) from an importer in Wellington- since stopped importing. I have one left and he looks as good as the day he was bought. I have not seen this fish from that day to this. Does anyone know where in the Manawatu/Horewhenua area these fish are available- or anywhere in NZ? They would be one of the most delightful little Loaches I've encountered. The life span has surprised me. I have had fish live over 3 years but these little beggars have surpassed all expectations. At one point I could see they were in a breeding cycle but didn't have the neccessary tank set up for this to happen. If anyone out there has any to sell or know where I could purchase them I would be very interested.

Regards Gordon.

The dwarf loaches are available - I know the shop here doesn't stock them as they think the price is too high - works out to be about $20 each retail.

  • Author

Hi Fish Tank- I'm not sure if we are talking about the same fish. The one I'm looking at is called Botia sidthimunki, similar colourings to a Khuli Loach but grows to max 5 cm. Lovely yellow.brown colourings with what could be described as gold portholes along the bodyline and the belly also a gold colour. If there are plenty in your neck of the woods what are they charging for them?? If they are a reasonable price I would pay for the fish plus the courier costs. At present our local fish supplier is offering White Clouds at $4.50 each- just a tad over the odds I would think so heaven knows what they would charge for theses little beggars. I suppose it might be a sign of the times but when I first bought my Dwarf Loaches they cost me $8 each- from an importer and he had a markup on that price!!

Regards Gordon

we use to sell them for $8-$10 each but they are hard to catch in the wild and all loaches have goon up we now have to sell them for $20 , even the breed ones , i use to sell clown loaches for $7-$9 each thats how much they have goon up

  • Author

Hi Kim-yes I have contacted a number of shops and $20 seems to be the norm. I bought a couple in P.North this morning who seem to have them in fairly regularly and I will add a couple every time they are in stock till I get a small shoal.

Regards Gordon

Gordon thats the best way to do it :D , they are so cute i really like them , im glad you got some :lol:

  • Author

Hi Kim- the two I bought today seem to have settled in well. They follow "dad"-or mum and have bonded really well so no problem's so far. They seem to be a little different in colouring but as they are only young I expect they will change with time and come into there own.

Regards Gordon

yes that is true , most fish you buy are different colours than the ones you have at home because as fisg grow most of them change colour, also with different food they will change colour, like if you feed them colourbits (tetra) they get more gold.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.