Red Pine Thread

lorrainel

I have on many accasions bought Rotala wallichii and each time I have grown it emersed and got it to flower it has turned out to be Rotala rotundifolia withe the pink flowers. Wallichii has white flowers and I have yet to find it. There are two types around and one is redder than the other and was sold as wallichii.

I don't know what plant this is as I have never grown Mayaca (it needs more light than I use) and I have never grown Rotala wallichii because I could never obtain it. On the many occasions I have bought it and grown it emersed it has turned out to be rotundifolia. You pays your money and takes your pick. My pick is that it is a type of Mayaca but I aint paying any money. Mrs Google is not God's Mother in Law so you could probably find examples of both being called red pine and that is one of the problems with using common names. It is however a great looking plant if you have light strong enough to keep it alive.