September 12, 200818 yr comment_262241 Ok, so I've been convinced by a dear friend that I should set up a Cichlid tank, however as I have been doing fishkeeping for years I have never had a Cichlid tank (not counting the various kribs and some South Americans). So I'm looking for some advice with what I would like to keep for a Tanganyikan set up.... Here's the details: 6' tank - 820ltrs 2x 600ltr canister filter Fish that I'd like to keep: Frontosa - was thinking a group of 6-8 Neolamprologus brichardi Cyathopharynx Furcifer Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis "Neon" I realize that I may not be able to keep all those together and also some may not be available here. Was also wondering what numbers of each to keep? Also I'd also like to keep some of my Catfish in there too. A group of Synodontis Decorus and some Plec's. The Catfish in the tank is a must as that was the reason for buying the tank in the first place. So..... Any suggestions? Report
September 12, 200818 yr comment_262252 6 inches, 820L thats one tall/deep tank my friend (ps sorry for this ) Report
September 12, 200818 yr comment_262262 6 inches, 820L thats one tall/deep tank my friend (ps sorry for this ) we can tell your age from this comment ' = feet " = inches its a 6 footer Report
September 12, 200818 yr comment_262264 I think the inital post was edited Cyathopharynx Furcifer and Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis "Neon" aren't avaliable here as far as im aware but someone else might know.. Brichardi and fronts would be good but eventually the fronts will grow big enough to eat them (that would be years down the track). You could probably get 10-12 fronts and thin them out as needed down the line to get a descent ratio, there is nothing worse than ended up with 5m 1f out of 6 and things not working out... Instead of brichardi you could consider pulchers they are basically the same but I think pulchers look nicer its OTY really.. You could also add some lelu's or jullies check out http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/8-foot ... 33670.html for some idea's.. Are you completely sold on the front's? Because you could setup a mean malawi tank in that tank also. Your cats should be ok in there they should be fine in the ph and strong enough to keep safe. Report
September 13, 200818 yr Author comment_262348 Thanks for the help ryanjury. Wasn't sure about the Cyathopharynx Furcifer and Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis availability here, hence why I put the names up to see. I wouldn't mind trying the Frontosa's and the Brichardi, was hoping the Brichardi would grow big enough that the Frontosa wouldn't eat them. I'm still a month or 2 away from set up, so I still have some time to look around at what's out there. I have seen that 8' set up too, it's very nice, makes me think the 6 could be too small. :roll: Report
September 13, 200818 yr comment_262361 6' is not too small for a Malawi set up. Masses of movement and colour and breeding. Real cool. Several of the Malawi species get quite big though, as do Fronts. GBAs will go with them as well, rainbow fish too. Report
September 13, 200818 yr Author comment_262364 6' is not too small for a Malawi set up. Masses of movement and colour and breeding. Real cool. Several of the Malawi species get quite big though, as do Fronts. GBAs will go with them as well, rainbow fish too. I think my 6 will be fine, was just dreaming a little. I have looked at Malawi but I'm really hooked on the Frontosa so Tanganyikan it is. Report
September 13, 200818 yr comment_262402 Yeah your 6ft will be awesome for them Sweet the tangs are good, depends what your into I guess, you can cram alot of fish and get alot of colours in with malawi's, but the tangs are just personality.. Eventually the fronts will get big enough to eat fully grown brichardi, I have seen pictures of them eating fully grown electric yellow males, but that is very long term as they're quite a slow growing and maturing fish.. From what ive read the fronts are quite slow but are early morning feeders and can have a munch out while others are sleeping.. Report
September 16, 200818 yr Author comment_262904 Any suggestion on what a good number of Fronts to keep in the tank would be? Also M/F ratio? Although that could be difficult sexing when young I would imagine. Thanks for all your help Ryan Report
September 20, 200818 yr comment_263515 I would buy 10-12 at a small size. Then thin out as they grow...as in get rid of excess males. Frenchy Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.