Why is this happening????

farmchick

I have set up a new tank and run it for a week or so with a new filter but existing media from an old but running filter.

Put a few new inhabitants in and ran it for another week. Tested the water and all was good.

I shifted everyone else and last night the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite were all off the charts.

I did a 50 to 60% water change and everything seemed okay. But I tested it again this morning and while the nitrate and nitrite are much better, the ammonia is still really bad :cry:

No-one is gasping at the surface nor lost colour but they are swimming up and down in the bubbles from the bubble walls which to me indicates a lack of oxygen?.

Can I have too much filtration perhaps?

It is a 4ft 220 litre tank and I have got an Aqua One 2400 filter going. The water is crystal clear and the tank looks a million dollars but something is wrong somewhere.

Hi

Add cycle or stress zyme..Millions of bactera per tea spoon .if Ph above 7 then ammonia is not the same..Changes to nano-ammonia and not so toxic..Nitrites still need keeping below 20ppm with water changes..Second week usually a lot better..Chin up...Phill

Thanks all, I did use about half the existing water but obviously not enough :oops: And it was all new gravel :-?

Interesting re the amonia and the relation to high PH. Mine is sitting at about 8, so will the amonia reading I am getting actually be acurate?

Hi

PH is often wrong results if just a liguid tester..We use a digital PH meter frm dick smith ltd or others..Extremely reliable..Have buffer to set at 7..

8 PH usually will mean a lot of lime added by water treatment plant..

Most fish are not going to worry tho..

Meters are $75 or there abouts and no guess work..Some testers have a set range like..6.8 to 7.4 is one very common..

Your ammonia is likely to test wrong to i feel..But nitrite is far more dangerous..So just do water changes from hot water tap as heating removes chlorine..Bit often is best...........Phill

Ammonia test kits measure combined ammonia and ammonium, thats NH3 and NH4+ ions respectively. At pH <7 (i.e more acidic) more of the ammonia/ammonium will be in the NH4+ form which is less toxic than the NH3 ammonia form. If ammonia is a problem you need more acidic water so that a greater proportion is in the NH4+ form rather than the NH3 form.

Ammonia is very toxic and will absorb straight through gill cell membranes because it is unionised. Ammonium is less toxic but will still cause respiratory problems and gill irritation at very low ppm levels.

The test kit will give you a total NH3 and NH4+ level, but combined with your pH there should be a chart that tells you how much is ionised (NH4+) and howmuch unionised (NH3).

Nitrite is also toxic but at slightly higher levels and for a different reason - it forms methaemoglobin in the fish blood stream and cuts down on the oxygen carrying capacity.

Neither ammonia/ammonium or nitrite is particularly good for your fish. Water changes necessary until the filter bacteria get up to enough numbers.

H

You said Tank Water..If rain then your tester is no good as NZ Rain is 6.5PH..I have 75000 L and thats all i use for about all but add baking soda and calcum to malawi tanks...Phill

Rain water sitting in a concrete tank can have a higher ph, also her tank ph might be higher because she might have some buffering rocks or substate in there..