Whats wrong with my guppy?

firefish

I noticed this this morning.

It seems like some white stuff incrusted under some scales. Its only in one area.

Its the same fish in both pics (dunno why it came out pink :-? )

Sickguppy002.jpg

Sickguppy001.jpg

What could it be?

So far, i've separated her, but she still shares the same water.

What should I do?

Her behaviour seems normal.

Ok, i'll go and fully separate her. How much salt should i add (for 1 litre) ?

I've had a fish with dropsy before and its definitly not that, the scales are kinda sticking up but cos of the white stuff.

I'll get my dad to try and take some pics with his good camera.

Make sure its away from your other fish.

Make sure you dont transfer the disease. (Though your other fish mainly Livebearers, will proberly already have it)

Most of the time they dont survive, but dosent mean you cant try if you want.

Most remedies dont seem to work though.

But you can try:

Treatment: First, slowly lower the temperature in the tank to 75 or 76 to slow the course of the disease. Also, since columnaris thrives in low oxygen conditions, the addition of an airstone or lowering the water level to create more splash from the filter will also help.

The most effective treatment for columnaris if the fish is still eating is medicated food containing oxytetracycline. Aquatronics makes such a food, as does Zeigler. Often, however, the fish is not eating by the time symptoms are noticed. Antibiotics in the water would be the next treatment option. Erythromycin (Maracyn), nitrofurazone, nifurpirinol, acriflavine, chloramphenicol or tetracycline can be used to treat the columnaris itself. However, a fish infected with columnaris often falls prey to a secondary infection which is resistant to both of these. Therefore, a combination of Maracyn and Maracyn Two or tetracycling and kanamycin is recommended. CONTINUE TREATMENT FOR A MINIMUM OF 10 DAYS.

Lucid

I've isolated her, put the temp down, and put an air stone in her container.

And i'm about to put some salt in.

Would meth blue or white spot cure help at all?

We tried all that and it held it off, but didnt cure it at all.

Low temp holds it off ok.

We lost any fish that had this disease though. :(

Lucid

If it is columnaris, you're better off cutting your losses, culling the whole tank, bleaching it several times and starting from scratch. I know it sucks big time, but ask anyone on the forums who's had this, and it's really impossible to get rid of.

In saying that, don't jump the gun and do it before you know what's actually wrong - you might find that she's just got an infection which is growing crazy fluff.

In the meantime, as soon as any fish show signs of this, take them out of the tank. Also, make sure you take any dead fish out straight away, it's a surefire way to spread diseases.

Aw I hope it all works out ok for you! The best you can do for them is keep the water changes up for them, and your other tank, and keep an eye on all the other fishies. You may find it's something completly different, and everything we've all been saying is just scaring you for no reason - I hope so!!

Thanks for that jim r.

I read on the website that columnaris can show by the fins wearing away. Does anyone know if that is columnaris if the fins are wearing away, but it has no white stuff? I've got a couple with their fins getting shorter. Should i isolate these too? (With the others i've already isolated?)