Learn from my mistake!

Caper

PLEASE use a bath mat in your tub.

I NEVER did only for my grandchildren. August 12th, getting a shower...somehow slipped...fell.... rather flew out of tub first hitting my upper back against the wall (actually the door jam of my closet)...next, head flies back and hits wall...black out...wakes up lying on the floor cannot move...extreme pain (which looking back was good)

After awhile I was able to move my arms and legs just enough so I could crawl on my stomach. First was heading to computer room but realized I couldn't get up to the phone. Luckily I remembered my cell phone was in my purse on my bedroom floor. Thanks to my son Craig :bow: who bought this for me sometime ago.

Called my friend, who when he came over refused my pleas to pick me up and istead called 911.

Fortunately, after all the tests were done the docs said pulled muscles in chest, possbile hairline fracture of sternum, and whiplash.

AND because I DID NOT USE THE MAT: Besides the pain, I missed 5 days of work, went back to work too soon because could not afford to take more time off (won't get paid for holiday because of missed time), have to pay the ambulance bill...all because of not taking the time to put that rubber mat in the tub.

Caper

Yeah one of those rubbery things in the shower is an excellent idea. I have a friend who works in accident prevention and she has some really really sad stories about the consequences of people slipping in the shower :(

Baths with a shower over them are especially bad because you have to take such a big step to get over the side of the bath.

You can also buy non-slip adhesive stuff to stick permanently on the bottom of your bath if you prefer it to a rubber mat. Also Caper you might consider getting a grab-rail for beside your bath so you can hold on when getting in and out.

Caper, I'm glad to hear you got off so lightly. Your friend did the right thing by not picking you up so please give him a pat on the back!

Everybody else - be careful out there!

Thanks for the best wishes folks :bow::bow:

Yes, I meant the rubber bath mats that go inside the tub. Yes, I was very lucky I hit wall studs as opposed to gyprock so it could have been much worse. It's been over a month now and still get chest pain and pain in my neck and shoulders but that is improving but my fear of getting in the tub is STILL there :o

So many people have said to me, "Oh, I don't use a mat...maybe I should". PLEASE USE THEM, I wouldn't dream of putting my grandkids in without one and will never not use one for me again!

Caper