silica sand

my4age

i am thinking of redoing my tank with lighter substrate, maybe fine calcite like my other tanks or silica sand and with some crushed corals in my filter. is there any downside of using silica sand? It's for African cichlids tank. Any suggestion is much appreciated

how deep is your tank? I had silica sand in a 3'x18"x18" tank with cichlids and I had to move the intakes for the canisters to just below the surface to avoid sucking the sand up when it got stirred up. Another option would be to put a fine sponge over the intake of the filter, but this might reduce the flow.

Yeah that silica sand looks wicked :) I have a bag of it at home but haven't set it up in a tank I think there maybe problems with it being too fine, I have issues at the moment with the FX5 sucking up crushed coral and argonite and thats nowhere near as fine..

It would be interesting to see how it goes, maybe set it up in a smaller tank first?