Geophagus species ?

go4itgirl

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*edit* Mark I understand now, I wasn't looking at your post in reference to the one above it, perhaps I should get some sleep... :lol:

Pterophyllum altum, also referred to as the Altum Angelfish, Deep Angelfish, or Orinoco Angelfish,[1] occurs strictly in the Orinoco River Basin and the Upper Rio Negro watershed in Southern Venezuela, Southeastern Colombia and extreme Northern Brazil.

LOL so my "peru altums" from you-know-who (search trademe for 'peru altums') are most likely just regular P. sclare (or maybe even hybrids). I should try get some pics of them and get someone who actually knows what they're talking about to ID them....

Does this pretty much sum up what you're talking about Mark? Same could nearly be said for the red devil/midas senario, and a heck of a lot of fish in the hobby today;

Most strains of angelfish available in the fishkeeping hobby are the result of many decades of selective breeding. For the most part, the original crosses of wild angelfish were not recorded and confusion between the various species of Pterophyllum, especially P. scalare and P. leopoldi, is common. This makes the origins of "Domestic angelfish" unclear. Domestic strains are most likely a collection of genes resulting from more than one species of wild angelfish combined with the selection of mutations in domesticated lines over the last 60 or more years. The result of this is a domestic angelfish that is a true hybrid with little more than a superficial resemblance to wild Pterophyllum species. It would be inaccurate to say that they accurately represent any species of wild angelfish, although they most resemble P. scalare and are frequently referred to as such.

from the wiki page i posted

"The species may show red spotting and a bluesih green dorsal overcast when mature and when aroused exhibits a black operculum spot. Characteristic of this species is an acute incision or notch above the nares (supraorbital indention). All true Orinoco Altum specimens show this trait, whereas commercial hybrids product of crosses to Pterophyllum scalare, that are occasionally performed by breeders to sell them as "Orinoco Altum", may not exhibit the trait or it may appear in a lesser degree."

should be easy to tell on mature fish

• 1 month later...

Hi all

After the discussion progressed to angels etc I finally found some time to add these few pics. the babies are what mine looked like when I got them and they have since changed into the yellow ones. Very typical ciclid look with the elongated fins on the male and the lips are definitely 'botoxed' full in fact more so than these photos show. there does seem to be many variations even so with these cichlids

the photos came via the web from midas-cichlid.com

midas_cicdxgasswr.jpg

midas_cichldbefewr.jpg

midas_cichldfcc_dcde.jpg

midas_cichlid_bcg4de764.jpg

Can anyone advise definitely on these.

They [the fish in those photos] are definitely most likely a mix of Amphilophus labiatus and citrinellus (red devil/midas). That is about as definite as you can get unless the fish come with a habitat collection source from a reputable seller, and anyone who tells you otherwise is kidding themselves.

If you're going to sell them I'd suggest calling them either midas cichlid or red devil, Amphilophus Sp.